Overheating towing with Denali 6.2L - Losing my F'n mind!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that no one seems to notice the truck over heating and no messages on the DIC to that effect until after the truck stalls out... which leads me back to my overheated fuel/vapor lock assumption.

That does seem to be cropping up a lot lately!

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that no one seems to notice the truck over heating and no messages on the DIC to that effect until after the truck stalls out... which leads me back to my overheated fuel/vapor lock assumption.

I think if I were doing a lot of towing or if I had the 6.0/6.2L my first 2 upgrades would be to wrap the fuel lines and upgrade to the Mishimoto radiator.

The last time it overheated my wife said the gauge didn't read over 210 until she stopped and it immediately overheated. No message on the DIC and no codes whatsoever. I did buy some heat tape and am going to try that on my next day off.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mechanically, use a compression test gauge to check each cylinder initially. For a more thorough examination, a leak down test. Sometimes just looking at the spark plugs is enough.

Is there a simpler way fellas?

Combustion leak tester, used on the radiator or overflow tank. Won't tell you which side or cylinder area, but you might be able to rule out head gaskets.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got something like that, just not as wide. That one looks as tad thicker too but I think they are all pretty similar.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I got something like that, just not as wide. That one looks as tad thicker too but I think they are all pretty similar.

You can buy a smaller piece as a starter heat shield. I have used it before and it does a great job.

It is basically the fiberglass header wrap with a foil backer to reflect the heat.

Please keep us posted as to your results, as so many people post on here and never return to report their results so it leaves us wondering.

I can only assume their problems were solved since they don't return.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Have you verified the fans kick on? It is a motor so it’s also possible that the motor died or unplugged. Fans also come on with ac turned on but you need to check if they are coming on without the ac on.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have posted on this forum about a slightly similar problem. When towing our 4500 lb travel trailer in hot weather, the dash engine temp indicator show temp increases up to 30 degrees above normal. No performance change or stall though. Tranny temps up to about 235. Have changed radiator - mechanic said old one was heavier than he expected. He said that there are rumors that sometimes casting sand was not thoroughly cleaned from block at factory, and then would cause cooling issues and maybe we had some sand in radiator. He said it is same radiator vor 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton models, which said radiator should be more than adequate. Problem still persists. All research says even though hotter than normal (up to 240 degrees) it is running within specs and not an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432