Order Now or Wait for 2015 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been scanning the forum for a while and have decided it is time to thin out my stable of cars. I currently have a 2002 Yukon XL Denali (purchased new) with over 140K on the clock and love it. I will be trading or selling the Yukon and my 2013 Audi A6 (great car, but I have others) but prefer the full size SUV when traveling. The question is when will the "new" Denali have 4g service and the 8 speed transmission? I have reached out to the local dealers (not to informed and want to sell what they have in stock), GM and OnStar. The GM people were also uninformed and misinformed. The OnStar group provide me the information that builds after 9/1/2014 would include the equipment for the 4g service (fees apply) is that so? Does anyone have an idea when the 8 speed is coming? I have read the Caddy will receive the 8 speed, 4g, new grill and logo in the Fall. That seems strange that the 2015 will change. I guess it will be a 2015.5 or 2016 model at that point. I have seen several new Denalis and think the changes are great!

rjhoskins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michael--
As far as the 8 speed goes in the Denali, I don't think there is any real proof as to when it's coming. Other than it's definitely planned for the future. I think most of the rumors put out that the Denali will get the 8 speed for the 2016 model, so we could be a year away from seeing it.

Personally, I am trying to wait for the 8 speed, but not sure I can hold out that long. I know there were some new Vette owners that were a little upset their 14 came with the 6 speed, only to find out the 15 would have the 8 speed auto. However, the rumors were flying back then as well that the 8 speed was coming to the Vette very soon.

Anyone else have any concrete news?

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd wait for GM to resolve any quirks in the first 8 speeds before buying one.

OP
OP
M

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I confirmed with the local Caddy dealer that the September build dates will include On-star 10th Generation capable of 4GLTE. The local GMC dealer said never, what a bunch of chuckle heads! The Caddy dealer confirmed late, as in next year 8 speed on Escalade, no news on Denali. Who really knows! Do GM people view this site? Maybe they could shed some light on the subject.

Daunntlessone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Dealer just told me that they got some confirmation that the 8-speed is coming in the Escalade and that the 360 degree camera is coming on the Platinum Escalade - but he did not get confirmation about the timeline of availability on the transmission for the Denali, but will let me know as soon as they hear for sure.

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Regarding the 4G...I'm told that dealer can add this to early 2015 models that don't come with the 10th gen On-star. I was looking forward to it but the subscription costs for that are pretty high.

Spinzone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dumb question but what does the onstar 4g do that an iPhone hotspot cannot? I'm trying to figure out why I need to have this in my '15.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing other than they claim that the antenna is on the roof has less metal interference than a cell inside the truck and drawing power off the truck battery gives superior strength.

jbva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
based on what i have seen it makes sense to wait. At least from what i see posted on another thread the Denali's will get the 8 speed which provides better acceleration and fuel savings. The way i read it was almost that they feel the other transmission isnt adequate, or at least preferred, for the larger engines