2015 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjamminharris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I just purchased a 2015 Yukon Denali with 101,000 on the clock. I used to sell GMC Yukon denalis from 06 to 08 so I know alot about those years. Can somebody answer my questions? I was reading that the 2015.5 had the 8 speed tranny, and wireless charger on the console. Does that mean mine was built earlier in the year, and is the six speed better? Also I don’t see where mine has AFM. It doesn’t have the ability to scroll from V8 to V4. I read about lifter problems in the 2015 Yukon, and Tahoes. Does anyone have an earlier built 15 Yukon Denali that would know the answers about the transmission, which one is better, and the AFM. I am new here so thanks for your time. Ben

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

@NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just purchased a 2015 Yukon Denali with 101,000 on the clock. I used to sell GMC Yukon denalis from 06 to 08 so I know alot about those years. Can somebody answer my questions? I was reading that the 2015.5 had the 8 speed tranny, and wireless charger on the console. Does that mean mine was built earlier in the year, and is the six speed better? Also I don’t see where mine has AFM. It doesn’t have the ability to scroll from V8 to V4. I read about lifter problems in the 2015 Yukon, and Tahoes. Does anyone have an earlier built 15 Yukon Denali that would know the answers about the transmission, which one is better, and the AFM. I am new here so thanks for your time. Ben
Check your glovebox for the list of RPO codes applicable to your vehicle and then look up the codification for each online.

As far as which trans is better (6 vs 8 speed), to my knowledge there are no widespread lawsuits in progress against GM or suppliers for the 6L family of transmissions like there are with the 8Ls.

Quote my post or mention me (@NickTransmissions ) if you have additional transmission questions that you'd like me to answer...That said, if you do have the 6L80 and want to learn more about it, check out my '6L80 Info Thread' on here - you can find the link in my signature line.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the hood and look for a trans dipstick on the passenger side by the firewall. If there's a dipstick then you have the 6 speed most likely. The 8 speeds don't have one and the only vehicle I know of that came with one for an 8 speed was the camaro for a limited run.

As for the AFM, it has it - pretty sure anything after 2009 had it with the 6.2L and from 2007 on with the 5.3L. I think the only 6.2L that didn't get it in those years were camaro and corvette with manual transmissions.

Look through your menu screens on the dash and go to the INSTANT fuel economy screen. It should show up there and say either V8 or V4 while driving. Personally, I'd deactive that system ASAP with tuning or a RANGE Device.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM may have been tuned out by previous owner. I have an early 2015 and it has AFM, or did till I had Blackbear tune it. It also has the 6-speed, no phone charger in the console or hands free liftgate.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 2015 and 2017 Yukon Denali XL. The 2015 was horrible Dealer made good on a 2017 at cost to keep me as a customer. I had the 8 speed in both. I loved the 8 speed and it was great for towing and drivability. I had the 6 speed in my 2013 and hated it. Bogged down and always downshifting to be in power band. The 2015 does have AFM. The 2015 can be deleted and tuned. The 6 speed has been more reliable that the 8 speed is general cocensus.
The biggest problems with the 2015 were buffeting and booming, AC condensers, and horrible ride along with terrible seats. It does alot well but alot of growing pains in the 1st year.

OP
OP
benjamminharris

benjamminharris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AFM may have been tuned out by previous owner. I have an early 2015 and it has AFM, or did till I had Blackbear tune it. It also has the 6-speed, no phone charger in the console or hands free liftgate.
This is what I was thinking. I’m surprised though because 2015 was the new body style for that generation and why in 2015.5 would they already make changes. Like transmission, and wireless charger. I do have power liftgate, and on key fob but I don’t think that it’s nessaerly hands free. When I scroll through there is no instant V4 or V8. I guess if the previous owner messed with it that’s prob better. I’ve never heard of GM making changes though halfway thru the year. Especially the first year of a new body style.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking. I’m surprised though because 2015 was the new body style for that generation and why in 2015.5 would they already make changes. Like transmission, and wireless charger. I do have power liftgate, and on key fob but I don’t think that it’s nessaerly hands free. When I scroll through there is no instant V4 or V8. I guess if the previous owner messed with it that’s prob better. I’ve never heard of GM making changes though halfway thru the year. Especially the first year of a new body style.
They are always making changes.....if my time in the engineering world is correct. Constant changes/problem solving keep many people employed. You can only product test so much and inevitably there are scenarios that creep in. Add that to parts suppliers trying to make margins, etc.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When looking through the DIC you will only see V4 illuminated if it’s activated. It should show at least the default V8 on the instant gas mileage screen.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can choose which screens show up in the setup menu. Find fuel economy and select it as an active screen. Then when you go to the section that has driver stuff (forget the actual name) you should be able to scroll up or down ans find it along with oil life, tire pressure, mph, etc. Once you find it, take a cruise down a backroad and hit 55 mph and then roll back off the gas and see if the V8 turns to V4. If it doesn't, then maybe someone tuned it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts