Opinions on step rail removal

Which look do you prefer?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently removed the step rails, but unsure whether I like the look or not. I'm in the middle of putting the truck on a diet so removing the rails was part of the plan to shed some excess weight for the strip and also clean up the look some. I like it but I dont lol. What do u guys think? I posted some before and after pics so you could see the difference. Yay or nay?

Before...
20150701_144059.jpg 20150701_115228.jpg

After....
20170210_120919-1.jpg 20170210_115808-1.jpg

Side view before & after ...
PhotoGrid_1486767177285.jpg

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great both ways. Since your truck is dropped I'd opt to delete the step, just as you've done.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think having steps helps it look lower, so if that's your goal I say take 'em off. My stock height Hoe looked taller once I pulled the steps, so the look translates either way, IMO.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think having steps helps it look lower, so if that's your goal I say take 'em off. My stock height Hoe looked taller once I pulled the steps, so the look translates either way, IMO.

Yea, I agree. I don't like how it looks as though it's sitting higher, but I think it helps compliment the debadging and roof rack delete, giving it a "sleeker" look. Plus it shaved off about 45lbs, adding to the total of 365 lbs I've removed off so far (still working on more. Trading my wheels for a set of lighter 20s eventually to help the cause. Every little pound adds up and helps shave off e.t. at the track, not to mention daily driving mpg). And after looking at the pics, I'll probably paint the frame rails black. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So people really race Tahoes? :confused:
Counter-intuitive I know. But I've always built and raced camaros, t/a's, etc. Wanted to do something different. Something about the look on people's faces after getting spanked by an SUV. I can race down the track and carry my groceries with the same vehicle. Not too much different than an SRT8 Jeep or TBSS.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it will look good once you paint the frame rails if you take them off. The red and brown mix somewhat clash with the black look. The red works with the calibers, but then it ties into the brown.
Personally I like the look of them on the truck though. Always have.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nnbs steps would look clean. More of a low profile look and would flow with your shaved look

Took my steps off and looked like I put on a lift kit lol. Anyway my frame wasn't brown...more an orange with rust lol. I wire brushed the visible frame parts sprayed some primer and then sprayed a rubber undercoating I bought at Home Depot. I think $8 a can. Used 1 can per side. Still holding up great and looks like new, was a half day project spent on my back in the driveway. Wire brushing part wasn't fun but the end result was way worth it. There's pics in my build thread

Last edited:

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would look better with a lower profile set up steps... without the stock boards, the sides look too high to me.
Maybe some black nerf steps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa1971