Oil Pressure Gauge Stopped Working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jagsta

Reaction score
Hey guys - I was driving our 2007 Yukon Denali home last night and noticed the oil pressure gauge was not reading/showing no oil pressure. I didn't get a DIC message and the engine sounds normal. Is this likely the gauge itself? Anyone had this happen / know what and how difficult it is to repair? Did some searching but all I could ind was oil pressure sensor sending unit but I would think if it was that I would have gotten a DIC message?

Thanks!

-Jagsta

rook

Reaction score
Same problem. I've read a couple threads about a grommet/o-ring in the oil pump. I'm going to try to attack this first and see if it isn't he culprit. I'm freaking hoping this is it. Just got this rig.

rook

Reaction score
I should have written an update here - I did in another post. Oil pickup o-ring was toast... I was bleeding oil from there. Changed it, as good as new!
c7ce9a382726f8eabb4df6a0dc66d80c.jpg

25068bf520250d9f22eb2ea4a9e8c751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how easy was that to change out? I thought dropping the oil pan on these trucks was a major job.

rook

Reaction score
Half day. Had to take down the front diff, pinion steering - it's no fun but had no choice.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone really needs to do a good write up on this. I keep seeing this more and more. My Denali just lost oil pressure, but I am getting code P0523. So I ordered a oil pressure sensor to see if that takes care of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rook

Reaction score
There is a write up somewhere to take the oil pan down. I wasn't getting a CEL, just the stabilitrack light that a bunch of threads talk about being associated with this problem somehow. My stabilitrack works great, just tested in our little dusting of snow last week.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half day. Had to take down the front diff, pinion steering - it's no fun but had no choice.

half a day isn't bad. I always thought you had to lift the engine to clear the cross member to get the pan off. It looks like the cross member can be unbolted but I've never seen anyone go that route for some reason.

rook

Reaction score
I found the link that I looked at to do this - it was actually in a cadillac forum, but the denali and cadillac front end are virtually the same:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...07/612809-diy-replace-oil-pan-gasket-6-a.html

The front diff is fund to get back in, but I managed to do it myself. Had to gut, or "belly" it up into place. Damn I'd love to have a lift...

The thing is, when you're under there looking at it all you'd think you could get to it without taking all of this stuff off. But when you consider that inside the pan is the oil pickup line diving right down into the pan, and that little plug or line they have coming off of your pinion steering is RIGHT BELOW your pan, you realize that you have to start wrenching on stuff to get the pan off.

It all came off relatively easy, but to have nearly exploded my engine because of failure of this little grommet just sucks. THis is the second GM truck that has nearly gone BOOM because of internal oil grommet failure (other was 1995 K2500) I have records from the guy that sold this to me from two trips to a dealership - nearly $2k in parts they threw at this thing. The guy selling it just gave up, and I didn't even see the problem because at +20MPH oil pressure was fine, it was only when warm at idle did the viscocity of the oil get to where it would bleed out of this grommet. My trip though the back woods was more to see if high speeds alerted me to any trouble, I don't think I even let it idle at one stop light when it was warm, I bought this out near the boonies.

Anyway, I've posted pictures and my experience on a bunch of threads and forums because my research had me freaking out about cam bearings, people that eventually had massive battles about blown engines - just take a look around the internet and you'll quickly find some horror stories about the 2007/08 escalade/denali 6.2 oiling and cam bearing problems. I'm guessing at least a portion of cam bearing failure folks had their oil supply cut off from a bleeding pickup grommet like me.

I hope others consider including this in their ?100k-150k? maintenance.

And on a separate note, Wake I see you've got an Audi. I just bought a 2001 Audi S4 - the thing is a little beast! Black on black, someone else had some problems they couldn't solve, I worked my way through it to make it a runner and pass DEQ - all stock, needs a bunch of little things done in addition to the stuff they couldn't fix...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645