Oil Pressure Gauge Stopped Working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stick

Reaction score
I wish i searched this earlier. I'm certain this exact problem turned into the death of my original 5.7l in my Denali. I figured oil pump so i wasn't far off but a little too late. City driving is tough on engines.

rook

Reaction score
I wish i searched this earlier. I'm certain this exact problem turned into the death of my original 5.7l in my Denali. I figured oil pump so i wasn't far off but a little too late. City driving is tough on engines.

That sucks man. These are awesome rigs, tough to see a BS thing like this bring some of them down for good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtp1500

Reaction score
I had just started having an issue with startup oil pressure slowly rising then dropping off on my 07 Yukon Denali XL, also had a pretty bad oil leak so I decided to tackle the oil pan gasket and pickup tube o ring.
The o ring was dry rotted and broke into pieces when I pulled it off so I was pretty happy to find that after the work getting to it. The whole process wasn't near as bad as I had been expecting, no lift and not even a jack for the front diff. If I did it again Id definitely use a jack to get the diff back up in place.

The GOOD... I've got oil pressure like I've never had in the year of owning it, the BAD... I think my oil leak is the rear main seal plate.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
half a day isn't bad. I always thought you had to lift the engine to clear the cross member to get the pan off. It looks like the cross member can be unbolted but I've never seen anyone go that route for some reason.
Cross member is easy to remove. Cleaning the years and years of crud that has collected on the top of it takes a bit more time. Not sure what other route you could go other than lifting the engine.

Last edited:

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have written an update here - I did in another post. Oil pickup o-ring was toast... I was bleeding oil from there. Changed it, as good as new!c7ce9a382726f8eabb4df6a0dc66d80c.jpg
25068bf520250d9f22eb2ea4a9e8c751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice job and post.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just started having an issue with startup oil pressure slowly rising then dropping off on my 07 Yukon Denali XL, also had a pretty bad oil leak so I decided to tackle the oil pan gasket and pickup tube o ring.
The o ring was dry rotted and broke into pieces when I pulled it off so I was pretty happy to find that after the work getting to it. The whole process wasn't near as bad as I had been expecting, no lift and not even a jack for the front diff. If I did it again Id definitely use a jack to get the diff back up in place.

The GOOD... I've got oil pressure like I've never had in the year of owning it, the BAD... I think my oil leak is the rear main seal plate.
That is Exactly what mine is doing. Got a quote from a GM Dealership in my area of 7.5 Hours Labor. My Tahoe is a 00 with 282,000 mi. How you got the differential back in place without a jack is amazing.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about a half-day job if you just drop down the front diff enough to clear the pan but it's real tight to get the pan off that way. I'm sure the service procedure calls for pulling the diff completely off which is more involved. FYI, I replaced my oil pump at 150 k and the old O-ring was like new. I'd double check your actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge before diagnosing it as an O-Ring failure.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming process is same on 6.2 as the 5.3's. I have CEL so I think mine is just sensor as someone else mentioned.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about a half-day job if you just drop down the front diff enough to clear the pan but it's real tight to get the pan off that way. I'm sure the service procedure calls for pulling the diff completely off which is more involved. FYI, I replaced my oil pump at 150 k and the old O-ring was like new. I'd double check your actual oil pressure with a mechanical gauge before diagnosing it as an O-Ring failure.
Did replacing the oil pump restore your oil pressure ? Had a local mechanic tell me he has never heard of the oil tube O-ring problem. I told him about the many cases of that on this forum and he still did not believe that would cause low oil pressure. I asked him what he thought the problem was he said it's most likely worn Bearings in the engine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did replacing the oil pump restore your oil pressure ? Had a local mechanic tell me he has never heard of the oil tube O-ring problem. I told him about the many cases of that on this forum and he still did not believe that would cause low oil pressure. I asked him what he thought the problem was he said it's most likely worn Bearings in the engine.
I never had low oil pressure; I was doing a cam and timing set so since I was right there I did the pump. But if you've verified low pressure with a mechanical gauge in order to rule out a sensor or gauge problem, the o-ring or pump would be a good place to start. There's also high-volume pumps made that can help if it's worn bearings. I know Melling makes one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie