Not so sure anymore- Need guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been all geared up (literally and figuratively) to lower my Tahoe. Plans were a 3/4 on 22s with new Autoride shocks or Bilstein 4600s. I have the spindles, coils, axle relocators, sway bar links, etc. Just need the shocks and coil relocators for the additional 1" front drop.

Lately, and more often than usual, I've been considering a 3-4" lift on taller tires (34s? 35s?). For my purposes, I've generally always been against lifting a 2WD because it's done more for looks than function and lowering has more of a function with better handling and aerodynamics since I never go off-road. I guess I'll list the pros and cons to better organize my thoughts:

Lowering pros:
Improved handling
Improved aerodynamics
Possibly improved fuel economy
Looks cool
Essentially stock loads on bushings, bearings and brakes
Stock size tires are relatively cheap

Lowering cons:
Always have to be more mindful of driving and environment (road debris, parking curbs, etc.)
More difficult to jack up for oil changes, tire rotations, repairs, etc.
May present minor but tedious issues with clearancing to prevent rubbing
Reduced rear travel may affect load capacity

Lifting pros:
Improved usability
Improved servicability
Possibly improved ride quality
Looks cool

Lifting cons:
Reduced handling
Reduced aerodynamics
Likely reduced fuel economy
Increased load on bushings, bearings and brakes
Possible need to re-gear
Tires are more expensive

I'm still pretty much 50/50 at this point. I won't be doing anything until next year when Jenn gets her own car, so I have time to plan. Your thoughts?

Didn’t read any of the comments but lower it. I sometimes wish I had bought a Tahoe instead of an avalanche. They look great lowered

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it alone. Trucks like this are supposed to be utilitarian. It’s a giant, heavy vehicle designed to work.

Nah. Leather-covered captain's seats, woodgrain, numerous creature comfort doodads such as separate front, rear, driver and passenger climate controls, etc. aren't "utilitarian work truck" features to me. Vinyl flooring, vinyl or cloth seats, and basic features/conveniences with a 6'-8' bed is a work vehicle to me.

Mine's to transport people in as much comfort and luxury as feasibly possible. I want to retain this while giving it more of a sporty appeal. The question is WHICH sport.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave it alone, bish ass

Can't. It's not that I won't, I just can't. I've already started cutting/welding on it with the resonator delete and I've already collected almost all my drop parts. Can't stop now!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't. It's not that I won't, I just can't. I've already started cutting/welding on it with the resonator delete and I've already collected almost all my drop parts. Can't stop now!
I know, im kidding dub ass, imeant dumbass. :) ;)

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I didn’t read too much into this....but this is why Im getting something simple this time, no hesitations, dropin it low