Squeaking/Squealing when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
With that many miles on your vehicle you probably have a replacement ac compressor belt tensioner, like mine (2003 Tahoe with 344,000 miles). Most of the replacement tensioners seem to be made in Canada, probably by the same manufacturer. I went through 3 of those, one even from a dealer, and they all whistled at certain rpms in cold weather in Colorado (below 20 degrees or less maybe?). I recently looked into replacing just the bearing in one of them and found that bearings have low and high temperature limits. The ones with the greatest range are more expensive. I am guessing that the manufacturer uses cheaper bearings not good for low temperatures. Before I could get around to replacing the tensioner bearing I found another belt tensioner at Oreilly with a different design and manufactured in India (Murray brand I think) and so far it does not make the whistling noise. Don't know if this is your problem but somebody might be able to use this info, if not you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts