Squeaking/Squealing when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willisadam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon Denali 6.2.

Recently rebuilt. There is a faint squeaking/squealing on start up when cold. Noise completely goes away when warmed up. Removed all belts to eliminate pulley, idlers, water pump, alternator, etc. noise still there. Vehicle has 300k+ miles and it does not look like the transmission has been touched. Has anyone ever heard of a torque converter making a noise like this until warm. Thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 Yukon Denali 6.2.

Recently rebuilt. There is a faint squeaking/squealing on start up when cold. Noise completely goes away when warmed up. Removed all belts to eliminate pulley, idlers, water pump, alternator, etc. noise still there. Vehicle has 300k+ miles and it does not look like the transmission has been touched. Has anyone ever heard of a torque converter making a noise like this until warm. Thanks!
including the AC belt?
if so and it still makes noise get a mechanics stethascope and listen at the harmonic balancer or at the bell housing that should tell you if it is the tc or not

OP
OP
W

Willisadam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
including the AC belt?
if so and it still makes noise get a mechanics stethascope and listen at the harmonic balancer or at the bell housing that should tell you if it is the tc or not
All belts. Problem is it won’t make noise unless revved a little. Pitch and frequency will follow the rpm’s.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All belts. Problem is it won’t make noise unless revved a little. Pitch and frequency will follow the rpm’s.
I would grab stethascope and get a helper to push the pedal while you listen
take belts off jack it up so you can get under it and listen from there
should make it easy to determine if it is coming from the back or the front

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

As stated above, a stethoscope is your best friend here.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

some of the blue tooth scanners are bidirectional and can adjust idle up and down from your phone while you search.. it's pretty handy. especially if your under it on a lift

OP
OP
W

Willisadam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and that should help pinpoint the noise location. It may be a vacuum leak, especially since recently rebuilt.
I thought about that, but dismissed it since i did not think a vacuum leak would disappear after it is warm. Thanks for the tip.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I thought about that, but dismissed it since i did not think a vacuum leak would disappear after it is warm. Thanks for the tip.
The vacuum leak can happen with a cold engine and as the engine gets heat in it, while running, metal expands and so can other materials, and then the leak can seal itself. Or something that has vacuum with a cold engine, then does not have vacuum after engine reaches a certain temperature.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks for the ID on the truck.
Was the motor or something else recently rebuilt? Recently, like weeks, months?

Belts .. you can pin point a belt issue at cold start up by removing the belts and running the motor for 30-45 seconds.

When the ail’g belt, pulley or tensioner is quieted up with that belt removed, you’ll be able to isolate it. You should have gotten a totally new accessory belt, tensioner & pulley if you got a new motor. If they gave you a made overseas replacement set, I’d put $ on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia