Newbie needs advice on '15 Yukon Denali purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulNY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all from upstate NY. I am ready to pull the trigger on a '15 Yukon Denali with only 16k miles. It's a one owner who was a 75 year old repeat buyer who apparently buys a new Denali every few years, and accident free. It's literally showroom condition and flawless. During my test drive, everything seems fine and I could not reproduce the TSB PIP5337E shudder, but then again I only test drove it for 15 minutes or so. Is this a common problem across the board with the 8 speed auto tranny? Should I request the dealer do the TSB before taking delivery, even if I couldn't feel anything? Any other known issues that I should be aware of, or is the '15 a model year to steer clear of? Thanks for any advice you can give.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all from upstate NY. I am ready to pull the trigger on a '15 Yukon Denali with only 16k miles. It's a one owner who was a 75 year old repeat buyer who apparently buys a new Denali every few years, and accident free. It's literally showroom condition and flawless. During my test drive, everything seems fine and I could not reproduce the TSB PIP5337E shudder, but then again I only test drove it for 15 minutes or so. Is this a common problem across the board with the 8 speed auto tranny? Should I request the dealer do the TSB before taking delivery, even if I couldn't feel anything? Any other known issues that I should be aware of, or is the '15 a model year to steer clear of? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I wish there were a sticky for this to help folks. Drive at over 75mph to check for vibration. Low speed (15-40mph) for booming and then around town for buffetting.

Is the 15 for sure an 8 speed? I don’t recall. Which TSB are you referring to?

OP
OP
P

PaulNY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This particular '15 does have the 8 speed tranny. Can you please be more specific about the source of where the vibration would be coming from, or where I should feel it? Also, what do you mean by booming or buffeting? I have never heard these terms before, and the TSB PIP5337E is something I found online about a shake or shudder in the drive train between 30 and 65 mph. This is all new to me, so I am trying to research accordingly. Thanks so much.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This particular '15 does have the 8 speed tranny. Can you please be more specific about the source of where the vibration would be coming from, or where I should feel it? Also, what do you mean by booming or buffeting? I have never heard these terms before, and the TSB PIP5337E is something I found online about a shake or shudder in the drive train between 30 and 65 mph. This is all new to me, so I am trying to research accordingly. Thanks so much.

You'll know the vibration if you have it. It occurs at 75+ and the whole thing shakes. Can feel it in the steering. Google 'chevy shake'. Lots of data. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...shake-is-affecting-pickup-trucks-now-too.html

Buffetting is a sound like you'd hear if you cracked a back window and no other windows. Heard at any speed from around town to highway.

Booming is like you are inside a giant drum. Road imperfections above, I dont know, 15MPH? make the inside of the truck boom like a drum.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did not notice a problem with the tranny then I would leave it alone. Remember if it ain't broke don't fix it. Buying a 15 you have 5yr/100,000 mile power train warranty which covers the tranny. If it has an 8speed then you will have what is known as a 15.5(mid year upgrade) which will have a few extra features, wireless car charger on the console lid, 4g, kick open tail gate and the 8speed. Sounds like a nice vehicle. I would consider a GM only extended warranty, not aftermarket, with all the new technology. Lastly get an owners manual if it does not have one(Ebay)or download from the GMC site. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
P

PaulNY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll know the vibration if you have it. It occurs at 75+ and the whole thing shakes. Can feel it in the steering. Google 'chevy shake'. Lots of data. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...shake-is-affecting-pickup-trucks-now-too.html

Buffetting is a sound like you'd hear if you cracked a back window and no other windows. Heard at any speed from around town to highway.

Booming is like you are inside a giant drum. Road imperfections above, I dont know, 15MPH? make the inside of the truck boom like a drum.

Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate it. I didn't hear any of these things during my test drive, which was extensive. So, hopefully they don't rear their ugly head down the road.

If you did not notice a problem with the tranny then I would leave it alone. Remember if it ain't broke don't fix it. Buying a 15 you have 5yr/100,000 mile power train warranty which covers the tranny. If it has an 8speed then you will have what is known as a 15.5(mid year upgrade) which will have a few extra features, wireless car charger on the console lid, 4g, kick open tail gate and the 8speed. Sounds like a nice vehicle. I would consider a GM only extended warranty, not aftermarket, with all the new technology. Lastly get an owners manual if it does not have one(Ebay)or download from the GMC site. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum.

Good point, and the same advice my father always gave me. The fact that it is certified does give me piece of mind, but I may consider an extended warranty as well just in case. It does have the 8 speed as the build date was 3/11/15 which apparently was toward the end of the '15 model build cycle. I am glad it has all of the mid cycle upgrades as those are nice features for sure. It stickered for $72205, and I paid $49500 so I think it's a fair deal considering it's like new (literally) with only 16k miles. The last GM vehicle I had was an '07 Escalade which I really liked, but sold it a year later for a new H2 Hummer. Boy, talk about a pig lol. Anyway, hopefully this Denali provides me with many years of pleasure as it's simply a joy to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadracer6