Newbie from Long Island, NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon_Carl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been a lurker here for awhile and decided to pull the join trigger. You all have helped me a few times already. Thanks!
I bought a nice 2003 Yukon XLT with 58k miles a couple of years ago. It needed brakes pads & rotors when I bought it. Still had the original rotors. Tried to work it into the price but it was already a good deal and the seller wasn't budging.
It was so nice to have a 4x4 (my 1st) the last 2 winters here in NY! The Yukon had a set of after market wheels and the seller also had the original wheels which I have since put a set of new Blizzaks on which I switch to for the winter months.
Do these Yukons/Tahoes need dedicated winter tires or are decent all season tires good enough here up north?
I have had a few minor issues since I have the Yukon.
I just had a brake line fail which rusted out so I replaced all of them with stainless. Lucky for me the failure happened in a parking lot and not on the highway. I had just completed a round trip to Orlando from here on Long Island a few weeks before.
I had a wiper arm come loose on the way down which I fixed on the road and the stepper motor is going on the Voltage gauge. My upcoming project. I think I'll add LED's while I have the cluster out.
The Yukon got 17 MPG on the 2500 mile round trip. That's doing 65-85 mph with the A/C on and a lot of local driving in Orlando.
I go through a lot of vehicles but it looks like this Yukon will be a keeper unless I find a great deal on a better one!

GDStrokes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been a lurker here for awhile and decided to pull the join trigger. You all have helped me a few times already. Thanks!
I bought a nice 2003 Yukon XLT with 58k miles a couple of years ago. It needed brakes pads & rotors when I bought it. Still had the original rotors. Tried to work it into the price but it was already a good deal and the seller wasn't budging.
It was so nice to have a 4x4 (my 1st) the last 2 winters here in NY! The Yukon had a set of after market wheels and the seller also had the original wheels which I have since put a set of new Blizzaks on which I switch to for the winter months.
Do these Yukons/Tahoes need dedicated winter tires or are decent all season tires good enough here up north?
I have had a few minor issues since I have the Yukon.
I just had a brake line fail which rusted out so I replaced all of them with stainless. Lucky for me the failure happened in a parking lot and not on the highway. I had just completed a round trip to Orlando from here on Long Island a few weeks before.
I had a wiper arm come loose on the way down which I fixed on the road and the stepper motor is going on the Voltage gauge. My upcoming project. I think I'll add LED's while I have the cluster out.
The Yukon got 17 MPG on the 2500 mile round trip. That's doing 65-85 mph with the A/C on and a lot of local driving in Orlando.
I go through a lot of vehicles but it looks like this Yukon will be a keeper unless I find a great deal on a better one!

Hi Carl. I'm curious about your brake issue. I had this happen to me yesterday at a traffic light (Left Rear) so I wasn't moving - thankfully. About to embark on a trip to North Carolina so I am happy this happened while I was local. I'm curious where exactly the rust area was. Truck is at the shop now but has not yet been worked on - since its Sunday. Thanks!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I used to live in Huntington on Long Island. I made the drive from Huntington down to Orlando as a kid with my family---must have been hell for my parents, with us four kids, but I have nothing but great memories of that trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo