New Yukon Owner With Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotownYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!

So, just as the title states, I am a new Yukon owner in Detroit. I am the proud mother of a 1995 Yukon 5.7 2-Door 4x4

I have always wanted a 2-door Tahoe or Yukon, so when the opportunity presented itself, I bought one.

It's a bit rough on the outside, and the inside needs a complete gut... The carpets are icky and the driver's seat wobbles...

The 4x4 works (amazing right?) and it has 226,000 on the motor, but the suspension is in good shape. However, I've been chasing an electrical Gremlin all over the place, which is causing the motor do this wierd "ZZZUUUUPPPP, ZZZUUUUUP, ZZZUUUP, ZZUUPPP, VROOOM!!!" when I start it... It DOES start, but that goofy "dead battery" sound is driving me crazy, and the battery heads are SUPER DUPER hot when the truck is started... Like you can fry an egg on top of my battery heads and have breakfast, HOT...

With all that said, I make pretty (I custom paint motorcycles), but I don't do mechanics... So I need you guy's help... I'm not afraid to get elbow deep into this truck, I just need a bit of guidance...

Sorry for the ULTRA long first post, I just wanted to introduce myself!!!

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean all the battery terminals and wire connectors with sand paper. Check all the wires for corrosion (green means bad) and check the negetive cables ground

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all that checks out and no positive results it could be the starter on its way out. Possibly sounds like the clutch isn't pushing the starter gear out and it's just spinning untill it finally feels like engaging.

Good luck and post some pics

OP
OP
M

MotownYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought 2 new battery heads, and I have a butt-load of AC Delco stuff in my livingroom waiting to be put on; plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter and I'm waiting for a new EGR valve (I'd rather replace it than clean it), and a MAP sensor... Just gotta find the time to put all this on...

I am super unsure of how well-kept this truck was before I got it, nor do I know what the PO did or didn't do to it...

Is there anything else that I should be taking a look at??

Last edited:

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filter. Brakes. Maybe tires before the Michigan winter. Seems like you got all the goodies though

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was 95 the year they changed the motor and interior?

OP
OP
M

MotownYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize; I did get an air filter (it has a carburetor, it's NOT the Vortec) :bawl: so, I do have that...

The PO did put new brakes lines and rotors & pads on all four corners (he showed me the receipt) but I think he used O'Riley's parts, and nothing against them, but garbage parts may have been used, but it stops on a dime, so i think they'll last through the winter...

Tires look pretty good with good tread, and even wear, so I may leave those as well...

However, the PO cranked the torsion bars with NO lift blocks in the back so now the truck is high as a giraffe's ass, and I can only get into the truck if I take a running start (I'm only 5'4"), plus it makes the truck lopsided; the front is higher than the back which looks dumb to me...

With that said, I'm gonna run the torsion keys back down to a reasonable height, and get some shocks on all four corners as well...

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take my Tbi back any day. Nothing wrong with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinsbritton