New Yukon Denali owner with some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up a CPO 21 Yukon Denali with the ultimate package and had some questions.

Bit of back ground. The denali has 19,000 miles but don’t let that fool you. It was NYC owed and has 2,255 engine hours, which under normal driving conditions equates to 70,000 miles. (Wish I had investigated this prior to purchasing)

That said, the Yukon has air suspension and I have noticed it feels very unstable on any kind of road imperfection. There is a lot of judder in the cabin, almost feels like something is loose. I have never owned a vehicle with air suspension so I don’t know if this is normal or but from prior experience it feels like the struts are bad. Could the magnetic dampers be toast?

Also,

I am coming from a Lexus gs350 and the headlights in the Yukon are horrible comparatively. Does anyone else feel like the light output is just bad? It had the daytime running light recall so that isn’t the issue.

Thanks I’m advance for any help/guidance.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should still have factory warranty. I would ask them to inspect the system maybe at next oil change. It should not be squirley. It should be like a floating couch.

I have no complaints on the headlights. I have never driven a Lexus though, so can not offer a comparison there.

OP
OP
N

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reels, yes you are correct, still under the factory warranty. I will definatley bring it up. It doesn’t seem normal to me. I test drove a non air suspension Denali and it did not feel like this at all. Drove great.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reels, yes you are correct, still under the factory warranty. I will definatley bring it up. It doesn’t seem normal to me. I test drove a non air suspension Denali and it did not feel like this at all. Drove great.
Not to be a smart a$$, but if you drove a Denali that handled great, why did you buy the one that didn’t? Not judging, just questioning.

Get it in and have them check it over.

OP
OP
N

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s a reasonable question. The other one had more miles and was more expensive. Also not my preferred color.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got air suspension and Magnetic Ride control on my Denali, and don’t notice any squirly ride, etc. but the setup is definitely tuned to a softer ride; so if your Lexus was more sport tuned, it will feel more floaty. I’d definitely take it in, and ask the dealer’s service manager to go for a ride with you to point out what you are feeling.

I’ve had Tahoes and Suburbans since 1996, and my 2022 is definitely the best riding of the bunch.

OP
OP
N

Nwhite202

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and warm welcome. I live in Massachusetts so the roads aren’t the best so that isn’t helping. The ride is very comfortable on smooth pavement. It just seems very unsettled and unstable on any kind of crack, manhole cover, etc. I have owned cars with large diameter wheels and never felt such jarring impacts from those kinds of things. Almost like there is no damper.

I’ll bring it to the dealer and see what they say. I may see if I can drive another Yukon or Tahoe with the air suspension as a point of comparison. That will really help to determine if it’s a “me problem” or something is actually wrong with the yukon

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a pair of denali's (a '21 and a '23). One is mag ride the other has the air suspension. We also had a regular Yukon (non mag within air) '22 for 3 months while the '21 waited for a turbo.

None of them felt harsh or unstable. The regular yukon had the softest feel of any of them, but
not unstable or had a jutter when driving. I don't really notice a difference between the mag ride and the air suspension in regards to how harsh they are over impacts.

I prefer the mag ride setup, but the air is really nice if you have heavy cargo or towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel