New to GM - AC Delco parts that don't say on the part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonPAtkins

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new to the GM world. I've been ordering parts mostly from online vendors and am surprised how many of the parts come in an AC Delco box with the delco part # on the box, but then not on the part.

For example, I've ordered two front wheel hubs from different vendors. The both arrived in identical AC Delco boxes, but one (from an ebay vendor) had "AC Delco" and the part number engraved on the part. The other (amazon) didn't. It says Timken (who I can imagine makes OEM hubs for Delco), but doesn't say AC Delco. Do I need to be suspicious that the part isn't original, or is this typical?

Same deal on a pair of OEM rear brake rotors. AC Delco boxes, and the parts look identical, but even though the parts have several different numbers stamped on them, none of those numbers is the delco part number, and nowhere on the part does it say ac delco.

I'm trying to make sure I'm only buying the good stuff - but I'm worried some of these parts could've been bought by someone else, the OEM part taken out, a knockoff replacement put into the box, the item returned, and then I bought it.

Is this normal?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Timken makes hubs for delco, how much did you get charged for this "Timken" ? Timken is a good brand, but it's not oem, oem usually cost much more, never seen a knock off caliper there usually just rebuilt by various companys

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC Delco is just a marketer and they source parts from all over the world. Very good friend is a former GM parts manager and now owns his own AC Delco repair center. He showed me some years back where Fram oil filters were coming in AC Delco boxes. Said it was because of a supply chain issue with the maker of the AC Delco brand. Timken is probably a vendor to AC Delco.

That said, I would still be cautious of cheap parts in that they are not clones or knock-offs. Make sure the box is indeed a real AC Delco box and not a look alike. AC Delco parts are often counterfeited.

http://www.acdelco.com/counterfeit-auto-parts.html

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most all my AcDelco stuff comes from Amazon and looks original to me...

Will start payinng more attention now.

I think the chances of getting a fake part would be higher on ebay vs. Amazon though

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK - There are a lot of AC Delco parts that I think are very cheaply made and intended to wear quickly. I've only bought two brand new vehicle in my life - a Saturn and an Oldsmobile - and both had quite a few components that wore out before I would have expected them to, and the "cheap" after market replacements WAY outlasted. These included brakes, a clutch, interior panels ignition coils, etc.

OEM buys the absolute cheapest way they can to keep their recurring costs down. But replacement parts FROM THE SAME BRAND can outlast the same part number that was originally installed on the assembly line. Then again, as seen in this forum, some after market stuff is junk and you WANT to go back to the OEM/AC Delco brand, ie: Engine mounts.

I just don't think there's any way in the world to track everything that is better OEM or AM on every model of every brand and know which AM parts are better or worse.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered my AC Delco air conditioning compressor, it came in a Delco box, and said "made in USA" on the box, yet it was a Denso compressor and it said "Made in Japan" on the compressor. But it was EXACTLY the same the the original that I removed from my truck. My OEM compressor was a Denso compressor. So I should have saved a few bucks and just bought a Denso compressor instead of the AC Delco, because it's the SAME DAMN THING!!!
Another time, I bought AC Delco spark plugs that said NGK on the plugs. Also, AC Delco belt tensioners are actually made by Gates. So save the money and just buy a Gates tensioner.

Z15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered my AC Delco air conditioning compressor, it came in a Delco box, and said "made in USA" on the box, yet it was a Denso compressor and it said "Made in Japan" on the compressor. But it was EXACTLY the same the the original that I removed from my truck. My OEM compressor was a Denso compressor. So I should have saved a few bucks and just bought a Denso compressor instead of the AC Delco, because it's the SAME DAMN THING!!!
Another time, I bought AC Delco spark plugs that said NGK on the plugs. Also, AC Delco belt tensioners are actually made by Gates. So save the money and just buy a Gates tensioner.
Denso has long been an oem tier 1 supplier to GM, their parts are on many GM vehicles from the factory.
DENSO Honored by General Motors as a 2006 Supplier of the Year

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. — DENSO International America, parent company to Long Beach-based DENSO Sales California was presented the General Motors 2006 Supplier of the Year award for its overall business performance in providing GM with world-class parts and services. The 15th annual award—themed the “Best of the Best”—was given during ceremonies Saturday, March 31 at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes in Orlando, Fl.

“We are proud to honor DENSO as one of the ‘Best of the Best’ GM suppliers in 2006,” said Bo Andersson, GM group vice president, Global Purchasing and Supply Chain. “DENSO achieved the award based on outstanding performance in 2006. We appreciate their energy, hard work and dedication to the success of GM.”

“DENSO is honored to receive the Supplier of the Year Award for four different products this year,” said Terry Helgesen, senior vice president, Marketing Division, DENSO International America. “This would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of all of our manufacturing, engineering and sales employees who are committed to providing GM with the highest quality and best value. We are committed to working to provide the highest total value to GM.”

DENSO was recognized for its heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system, windshield wipers, fuel injectors and navigation system.
DENSO Receives 11 GM Supplier Quality Excellence Awards World-wide NOV 07 | 2014 \
Five DENSO plants in North America take home GM’s highest award for supplier quality SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – DENSO received 11 General Motors (GM) Supplier Quality Excellence awards world-wide for its efforts in 2014. The award, which is GM’s highest global award for supplier quality, recognizes production plants and facilities that meet a stringent set of quality performance criteria.
“Quality is the foundation of DENSO, and to be recognized by General Motors is a great honor,” said Scott Crockett, director of Quality for DENSO International America, Inc., DENSO’s North American headquarters. “Without our employees’ great attention to detail and hard work, we wouldn’t be able to achieve these levels of quality and receive multiple awards.”[/quote[

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard Timkin made the OEM hubs for our vehicles as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas