New to engines but want to figure it out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 1993 yukon with a 5.7 tbi. I am looking into a crate engine and figured if I am going to get a new crate engine I'd get one with l31 heads (my engine is tired and runs at about 130 psi across all 8). My question is how and what to do to bolt my stock tbi up to it and what else I should do to get maximum performance out of it. Do I delete the egr? I know I will need a vortec to carb manifold and a carb to tbi adapter. But what else will I need to do to this to get it running besides this few things?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need an intake and possibly and adapter depending on your intake. You will need a tune to make it run right. If it's a longblock with the timing cover already installed there is a hole in the cover that will need to be plugged. Also the cooling system will be a tad different. I would get a regular non vortec 1-piece rear main seal roller block, swap the cam, address the coolant bypass, install vortec heads and go from there. You can delete EGR if you want. Vortec heads don't have internal passages for EGR so your solution would have to include the correct headers and plumbing.

OP
OP
kyle Loosemore
Reaction score
So I'm best off looking for a 1 pc rear main roller short block and getting vortec heads a vortec to carb intake a carb to tbi adapter and deleting egr? And swap the cam to what may I ask?

OP
OP
kyle Loosemore
Reaction score
And who would you recommend tuning it? Is there anyone I can send my comp to? Without having to dyno tune?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024