new tahoe owner what to do next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'99tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a 99 tahoe was doing some searching and found the site. Very nice site a lot of info. Have done the free stuff to the hoe. What should I do next performance wise

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My basic thoughts before stepping into "performance land" is getting the truck entirely up to shape, inspect, and check everything!

Hoses, Belts, Plugs, Brakes, Vacuum Lines, Tires, Lights, Filters, Lubes, Oils.

Then go from there.

Not sure where you're at, but here in the southwest desert, I sure in hell don't wish getting caught with my pants down in 106+ degree heat, 50 miles out of town, with a blown coolant hose, or snapped Belt. And there I am, don't even have a darn bottle of water, and buzzards are flying. Yep, it's like that here, for sure nobody wishes to be SOL.

Look at all safety items, Tires, Brakes, Lights, Wipers.

Then move on to comfort items, cabin filters, detailing, paint, trim and interior care.

These costs of upkeep alone can tax a well paid man's salary.

Not sure what "performance" you're wishing to achieve? Usually all only make a vehicle burn even more gasoline. Is that something that has little consideration?

Lubricants-Fluids, check, and perhaps drain-swap all. Don't skimp, you often do get what you pay for. Batteries, another you don't wish to overlook.

As for performance, I like getting from point A to point B, with no problems-hassles. Forget about the fancy 4-prong or iridium plugs, save your money.

As for performance, a nice simple Hypertech Programmer will give you a few ponies, you'll be able to to tune engine parameters, speedo errors if going with different-larger tires in the future, speed limiter, shift points, and firmness, without making your vehicle seem like you have a 2000 horse blown engine under the hood.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Whoops, I primarily forgot a big congrats, in getting a Hoe, and joining the forum, welcome, and please do enjoy, I think you'll have fun here!

Last edited:

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ he's got his head in the game. Never overlook the simple things and keep maintenance up.

Performance wise there's alot. Just depends on how big your wallet is and if you consider the gains/losses of modifications.

CAI, cheap intake mods, headers and exhaust, tuned pcm or controller, shift kits, stroker kits, camshafts, head modifications, list goes on.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP

'99tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's actually n great shape only has 110,000 miles. Everything looks and works great. Live n southeast Missouri. R the black bear tunes as good as I have read. Also read all CAI r basically the same just priced different. Is that true

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a BB tune and love it. Alot of other people believe in them strongly.

I personally don't see spending 300 bucks on a CAI with these. To each his own though.

Factory it's a fenderwell fed filter box with a giant filter. with a pretty straight shot to the TB. I plan on replacing the accordian looking tube with a straight pipe to go along with my silencer box delete and tb blade mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA