Transmission cooler to radiator connection question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClayCollins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My son and I are replacing his leaking radiator and have a question about the transmission cooler connections. I understand how to and was able to release these lines by lifting the wire spring. The new radiator came with o-rings in addition to the pipe fittings not being installed on the radiator. I removed the old pipe fittings on the old radiator, but can’t find any evidence of o-rings being installed either between the pipe fittings and the radiator or on the trans cooler line fittings. The cooler lines appear to be metal to metal connections held in place by the spring. Am I missing something?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooler lines should have an o-ring on the end where they push into the fitting. The old ones are probably compressed and stuck in the old fittings. Grab a small pick and you will probably be able to get it out for comparison.

Also, post pics if you can so we can see what you are seeing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son and I are replacing his leaking radiator and have a question about the transmission cooler connections. I understand how to and was able to release these lines by lifting the wire spring. The new radiator came with o-rings in addition to the pipe fittings not being installed on the radiator. I removed the old pipe fittings on the old radiator, but can’t find any evidence of o-rings being installed either between the pipe fittings and the radiator or on the trans cooler line fittings. The cooler lines appear to be metal to metal connections held in place by the spring. Am I missing something?
I do not recall seeing any transmission lines with o rings, but the oil cooler lines I believe use a ring on the line going in the radiator.
you can always just install them and if it leaks then take them off and use your old ones

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cooler lines should have an o-ring on the end where they push into the fitting. The old ones are probably compressed and stuck in the old fittings. Grab a small pick and you will probably be able to get it out for comparison.

Also, post pics if you can so we can see what you are seeing.
pictures are a good a idea, the oil cooler lines use a o-ring, my tranmission lines I don't think they have any, the flare tip is different

OP
OP
C

ClayCollins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Taking a second look, there’s no evidence of an o-ring on the transmission cooler line side of connections, but both the new and old radiator fittings do have o-rings imbedded deeper inside the fittings. Looks like the black ones provided may not be necessary(?). The first pic is the trans cooler line. The next one is the old radiator connection (black o-ring is barely visible down inside) and the last is the new. A brown o-ring can be seen in the new connection. Perhaps these 2 loose o-rings provided (not pictured) are for the oil cooler connections, which I don’t have.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the new radiator did not have transmission fittings? Or maybe I misunderstood...what are the pipe fittings you're referring to in the first post?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brighter fitting came with your radiator, right? I seem to recall the last radiator I replaced had the fittings in the box, I just had to screw them in. If that's the case, you are golden. Just pop the lines in.

It's important to put the little caps back from the lines back over the fittings though. I've read, that if don't, the lines can pop out while driving which is a very bad thing.

Reaction score
The O-rings are inside the fittings, not on the lines. I'm guessing the loose O-rings are either extra or they need to be installed into the fitting. I've never had to replace an O-ring inside of one of those type fittings, and when I've bought new fittings for when I added an aftermarket cooler the O-ring was already installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan