New member with 2014 SSV and a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ChevySSR

ChevySSR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guess you can wait until winter before using 0W30 or 0W40.
I'd NEVER go back to 15W40 - it's literally a waste of energy at the oil pump.
LS engine bearing clearances are typically in the .0006 to .0008 range, which makes 15W40 just plain STUPID.
To be clear: 15W40 was a DUMB MISTAKE that may have cause engine wear in and of itself.

I like Mobil1 also, but I'm not married to it like GM is, you shouldn't be either.
Other FULL SYNTHETICS like the ones noted above are also fine options, so long as they say API SN+.

Oil consumption? No more than 1 quart between oil changes. In other words:
1. Your oil change interval should not be long enough to allow 1 qt to get consumed between changes
2. If you lose a quart, don't just add a quart back, change the oil and filter -
and try a different oil ... maybe the oil itself is to blame for being too easy to consume.
3. If different oil makes not difference, and it consumes 1 qt every 4500 miles or less, it may be serious.
Get inside the engine and find out what the 'ell is going on.

20psi at warm idle is ok, 25psi is better, 30psi is bordering on a waste of fuel.
More importantly, oil pressure should climb as RpM / engine load increases.
Thank you for a detailed response, your recommendations make a lot of sense.
I am going to drive with the oil I already have in the engine, 15w40, and change out to 0w30 in 3k miles.
then will see what, if anything, happens to the oil consumption.
thank you again!

OP
OP
ChevySSR

ChevySSR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an update:
got the horn working, thank you for good advise.
if someone is going to search for this information in the future, here is how it went, checked RPO codes, have 6J7 installed. that has inline connector (disconnector). the manual does not specify the wire color, but that would not help much because the wire was wrapped. Just had to look for two wires 22 gauge that have compatible connectors and are not connected to each other. once found, disconnect them and connect to each other. see picture.
in the picture you can see the two brown wires with connectors connected together to make the horn work, they were connected to the two black wires with compatible connectors seen to the right.
thanks you!

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123