2012 Tahoe SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you guys doing well. My name is Mian and am Deaf. My English is not that great since English is my second language and American Sign Language (ASL) is my first language.

Anyway, well, I think I made a mistake that I bought 2012 Tahoe SSV with 77k miles for $11,000. I didn’t check engine hours till I found out how to check after bought it. So it has almost 20k engine hours, I was like fu*k, but before I bought it, I looked at Tahoe everything, like exterior is in excellent condition, no scratch at all and no holes and engine looks great, no leak at all, head crank has no oil leak at all, I looked under the engine to see if oil leak but no leak at all, looks clean. So I looked interior is in excellent condition, looks basic, have center console, like normal. I drove Tahoe as test, was very smooth, transmission is great, no feeling when change gears and drove on the freeway with full AC on full fan, pretty cold and did drive on high hill, very power. Anyway all I concern about 20k engine hours, I know high idle hours is not good but how do I know if engine is good or would explode? I can’t see what inside of the engine looks like. I changed engine oil and oil filter and from now on I will change engine oil every 3k miles. So what do you guys think? Thank you.

I attached some pictures but I will add more pictures of inside the Tahoe.

Attachments

• IMG_3092.jpeg
    IMG_3092.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I attached pdf for RPO CODE. Tell me if Tahoe has any good features?

Attachments

• Comprehensive VIN Decoder.pdf
    79.2 KB · Views: 4

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord, that is a lot of hours, sitting idle! I think you win the award for the most engine hours in the forum - I thought I had a lot of them....Jeebus. I would recommend getting a tune to get rid of DoD (cylinder de-activation) if a top end rebuild is not in the cards at the moment. Keep an eye on your oil pressure and changed regularly. I have an SSV as well that had 9.5k engine hours with about 115k on the clock - I have the tune and replaced my oil sensor as well as replaced the O-ring in the oil pan that cause low pressures. Add details about your location, vehicle details, etc as part of your profile and Welcome to the tribe from New Hampshire.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Fubar0715 said,
in the short-term, get an ecm & tcm tune, be sure to include disabling V4 mode.
In the long-term, delete & discard V4 mode hardware, replace with V8 lifters.

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good lord, that is a lot of hours, sitting idle! I think you win the award for the most engine hours in the forum - I thought I had a lot of them....Jeebus. I would recommend getting a tune to get rid of DoD (cylinder de-activation) if a top end rebuild is not in the cards at the moment. Keep an eye on your oil pressure and changed regularly. I have an SSV as well that had 9.5k engine hours with about 115k on the clock - I have the tune and replaced my oil sensor as well as replaced the O-ring in the oil pan that cause low pressures. Add details about your location, vehicle details, etc as part of your profile and Welcome to the tribe from New Hampshire.
Lmao, glad it made you feel better about engine hours, lol.

Yeah, I guess I am gonna save up for DoD delete, is that lots of money for dod delete?

Sure will add location and profile, thanks for let me know.

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like Fubar0715 said,
in the short-term, get an ecm & tcm tune, be sure to include disabling V4 mode.
In the long-term, delete & discard V4 mode hardware, replace with V8 lifters.
Oh ok, thanks for info. I will try to save up some money. Will keep my eyes on engine.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tune from BlackBear Performance is less than $600 and it tunes out DoD via ECM - for a stock truck, the biggest thing I noticed with my tunes was the tranny stopped hunting for the right gear when going up and down hills. Its going to get a test next month as I need to pull a Karmann Ghia home from Florida. Anywho, the tune is a start and should add some much needed life into your truck.

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The tune from BlackBear Performance is less than $600 and it tunes out DoD via ECM - for a stock truck, the biggest thing I noticed with my tunes was the tranny stopped hunting for the right gear when going up and down hills. It’s going to get a test next month as I need to pull a Karmann Ghia home from Florida. Anywho, the tune is a start and should add some much needed life into your truck.

Oh I see, I am not good at mechanical things if I go to auto shop to do tune, would be lots of money?

How do I check oil pressure to see how much oil pressure? Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see, I am not good at mechanical things if I go to auto shop to do tune, would be lots of money?

How do I check oil pressure to see how much oil pressure? Thanks
How good are you on the computer? If you are reasonably literate on a computer, doing a Black Bear Performance tune, as @Fubar0715 recommended, will actually be less complicated, and no mechanical wrenching is involved in the tune process.

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How good are you on the computer? If you are reasonably literate on a computer, doing a Black Bear Performance tune, as @Fubar0715 recommended, will actually be less complicated, and no mechanical wrenching is involved in the tune process.
Very good on the computer since I am IT computer though. Will check it out, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts