New LED Taillights= New Problem with Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragthepaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New LED tails and now the reverse lights don't work....errrrrrrrr :emotions122:

I just noticed tonight once I got to work and backed into my parking spot they were not working. So i'm limited on testing the system. Fuse is still good, and bulbs appear to be fine thats about the extent of what I can do here. I dont have the stock bulbs with me or I would hook them back up to verify if the LED tails are creating the issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this with their LED's. What are the actual chances the same day I put new taillights on the reverse light switch takes a $hit on me???

33fa6fe8-00b5-4330-90f8-56f21a7683b0.jpg

Last edited:

tojo152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're they working with the LED tails installed prior?

Do you have LED reverse bulbs (they need to be in a certain way)?

OP
OP
dragthepaint

dragthepaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the lights on a few days ago this is the first I noticed they weren't working, they were working last week with stock lenses......... I did not use LED in reverse bulb part yet.

tojo152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say connect stock tails to see if they work. If so your new tails are the issue.

OP
OP
dragthepaint

dragthepaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put stock bulbs and lenses back on for now......reverse lights still didnt come on "at first"
flicked bulbs and they came on. Soooooo, im guessing just not seated well or bad bulbs....they came on for a few minutes then when I put truck back in park and tried again they were lifeless again. So I flicked passenger side again and the filament came apart.

Needless to say I ordered up some LED replacements and we will see how it goes when they get here.

OP
OP
dragthepaint

dragthepaint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED reverse bulbs work fine with stock lenses.........Must of just been two bad bulbs at exactly the same time. Next step re-install LED lenses and hope for the best.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your harness connection is really good. These things hang under the truck where all kinds of dirt and water can get in if things aren't seated properly. And a mediocre connection can lead to different issues.

Disconnect the harnesses, and clean the connectors really well. See if that helps anything.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin,

did you ever get this fixed? I am having a similiar issue after replacing my stock bulbs to HIDs. The switch I wired in turns them on but putting it in reverse will not. I checked the switched power at the fuse box that should be 12v when in reverse but it isnt there. I send 12v down the side of the fuse that goes to the lights and they turn on....I am thinking my reverse switch is burned out?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric did you install HID's in your reverse lights? If so, I'd remove them. I did that on my avalanche and it fried the wiring and the BCM causing all kinds of electrical issues including my interior overhead lights no longer turning off. Basically your reverse lights are supposed to draw 7-9 amps and it was drawing 40 amps from the HID's/ballasts. Worked for 2 years and then one day bam... ******.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice Felix. I probably will need to remove them in order get them to work again. I just hope that I can get them to work again when I put it in reverse.

Maybe replace with a brighter than stock bulb LED?

anyone have an idea why my lights are acting this way?