Back Up - Reverse Lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it just me or are the reverse/back up lights on the 3 color taillights on my 2005 Yukon Denali weak...

is going to an LED the only answer with using the stock taillights???...my housings are fine and do not appear faded or cloudy...when the white back up lights come on and I am outside the vehicle they appear bright white and clear even when I back up to a reflective window and look, the lights are on but they don't seem to illuminate much when in reverse...

any thoughts and experiences you care to share would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared to all of the newer vehicles you encounter in traffic that come with LED tail lights, yes, our 25 year old platform’s lighting can seem weak. If you want brighter/stronger lighting then, yes, LEDs are about your only option. Halogen bulbs just can’t compete.

I will say that if you decide to go LED, do some homework on this forum about them and get a quality set because they typically hyperflash and disable your cruise control. I am currently dealing with that right now. I fixed the hyperflash with a $30 flash module, but I’m still reading into the cruise issue. There are some that come with resistors built in that some people have reported don’t cause the issue.

That being said I am very content with the light output of mine, nice and bright when braking/turning/backing.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks...I would rather not use LEDs and am only interested in the back up lights themselves for replacement as I have no issues with the incandescent lights that came on my SUV but for those back up lights...I've needed to see behind me a few times of late in bad weather and it seemed so dim on backing I thought they weren't even coming on...upon checking while reversing towards a reflective surface I found they were on but just barely illuminating the area behind me...

on cars I've owned and driven since 1977 I've never encountered anything with such weak back up/reverse lights...I'll probably only use LED back up lights if that is the only thing left to me...

thanks for your input

Bill

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks...I would rather not use LEDs and am only interested in the back up lights themselves for replacement as I have no issues with the incandescent lights that came on my SUV but for those back up lights...I've needed to see behind me a few times of late in bad weather and it seemed so dim on backing I thought they weren't even coming on...upon checking while reversing towards a reflective surface I found they were on but just barely illuminating the area behind me...

on cars I've owned and driven since 1977 I've never encountered anything with such weak back up/reverse lights...I'll probably only use LED back up lights if that is the only thing left to me...

thanks for your input

Bill
You may be able to just install LED reverse lights without affecting anything else. It would be worth a shot.

If you don’t wish to upgrade the lighting then maybe you could consider adding a backup camera? that would solve the visibility in inclement weather issue.

You could also install light bars or other additional lights to help supplement the reverse lights.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The backup lights on my 07 Yukon XL Denali were weak, IMO. So, I replaced those back-up lightbulbs with LEDs, and there was a significant improvement. However, my driveway has a stone wall on either side, and at night, even with the LED backup lights, there was not enough light for me.

So, I added two 8" light bars, just below the rear bumper (but still protected).

Backup LEDs Day Off.jpg

Backup LEDs Night On.jpg

Backup LEDs Night On View.jpg

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The backup lights on my 07 Yukon XL Denali were weak, IMO. So, I replaced those back-up lightbulbs with LEDs, and there was a significant improvement. However, my driveway has a stone wall on either side, and at night, even with the LED backup lights, there was not enough light for me.

So, I added two 8" light bars, just below the rear bumper (but still protected).
This is my next upgrade for sure! I want to see what is behind me.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

do you recall what brand LED bulbs you use and did you have to install anything other than the bulbs themselves for your reverse lights (not the lighter ones)...thanks,

I am looking at just replacing the reverse/back up bulbs with Sylvania/Philips/GE LED back up bulbs as I like to purchase from companies with some history behind them and on those sites they mention that I might need to purchase additional items like resistors so I don't get hyper flash, etc...I can see when I might need that for a flashing light (turn signals, brake lights, etc) but I just want to replace the reverse/back up lights to LEDs...I have no issues with the other lights thus far...

Bill

Last edited:

CoalTrain614

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
do you recall what brand LED bulbs you use and did you have to install anything other than the bulbs themselves for your reverse lights (not the lighter ones)...thanks,

I am looking at just replacing the reverse/back up bulbs with Sylvania/Philips/GE LED back up bulbs as I like to purchase from companies with some history behind them and on those sites they mention that I might need to purchase additional items like resistors so I don't get hyper flash, etc...I can see when I might need that for a flashing light (turn signals, brake lights, etc) but I just want to replace the reverse/back up lights to LEDs...I have no issues with the other lights thus far...

Bill
Hey Bill, thought I would let you know how I remedied my weak reverse light issue. The fact is that LED is just the way to go. I installed just the LED reverse light and had no side effects from it. The brand I went with is called Auxito, they are on Amazon for $16.99. They claim to be 6000k bright white and I believe it. I can see everything perfect in my back up cam when before I had a hard time seeing anything. I do have aftermarket housings with clear lenses, but I believe if I had the stock housing it might be even brighter. Either way good luck.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bill
The brand of LEDs that I used for the backup lights (JDM Astar) is not longer in business (pandemic victim), but I believe that most other 'known' brands will provide you with a partial improvement.

I kept the hyperflash, because it is more noticeable to other drivers on the road around you, and isn't that the purpose of a directional after all? I will note that hyperflash is illegal in some states, though.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added auxiliary lighting on mine too, but I'm a bit concerned with drawing too much power for the circuit. The pod I used is rated at 20 watts, but considering it's only on for the few minutes I'm backing up, it shouldn't be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900