Back Up - Reverse Lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added auxiliary lighting on mine too, but I'm a bit concerned with drawing too much power for the circuit. The pod I used is rated at 20 watts, but considering it's only on for the few minutes I'm backing up, it shouldn't be an issue.
Mine were routed back to the fuse box with a direct power run. Then, an electronic relay was added to switch on the LEDs when the backup lights were switched on. An additional on/off switch was added under the dashboard, so that I can manually turn on the LEDs for extra lighting for loading and unloading and camping/outdoor activities.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and information everyone...

for giggles, I tried replacing with halogen OEMs and...surprise...no change in light output...I will try some LEDs there and see how it goes...when reading up on the Sylvania/GE/Philips LEDs it seems some of the users claimed a great improvement in using LEDs in the reverse socket while others claim the same or worse output from the reverse replacements...I paid particular attention to those commenters who had similar twilight housings to what I have (red/yellow/white)

Bill

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the Philips Ultinon 3157 LED replacements and they are whiter but they are not brighter than the OEM incandescents so back they went to the store...

s'funny to me but after reading countless owner experiences and watching various video I found that Philips is both better than Sylvania and worse than Sylvania for light output...it would appear that for back up/reverse lights on our GMT800 series trucks or at least in my 2005 GMC Yukon Denali and the stock tail light housings, the incandescents are the brightest choice unless I try some of the unknown brand LEDs that say they output more lumens/lux than stock...

for now at least, I'll stick with the OEMs..

thanks for the help everyone...it is appreciated

Bill

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it just me or are the reverse/back up lights on the 3 color taillights on my 2005 Yukon Denali weak...

is going to an LED the only answer with using the stock taillights???...my housings are fine and do not appear faded or cloudy...when the white back up lights come on and I am outside the vehicle they appear bright white and clear even when I back up to a reflective window and look, the lights are on but they don't seem to illuminate much when in reverse...

any thoughts and experiences you care to share would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill
the backup lights have always been weak no matter what you do, the fix is to add a rear spot under the edge of the bumper, very easy to do on a gmt800 you can tap into the reverse harness with ease, doing this will fix your problem. any make or brand of 12 volt light with a mount will work it doesn't have to be some "brand name" or anything just whatever will work for you. any auto parts store, harbor freight, walmart, etc will have some.
drill a hole, mount the light/s, find the 12v positive when in reverse and the ground wire can go straight to the frame. easy-peasy

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my taillight housing to this..... The reverse lens is much more CLEAR than the silly stock material GM made..... ( GM, again.... designing stupid stuff)...
I use the stock bulb, and it's 5 times brighter because of the clear lens and a better reflector design.

I got the housings because tonyrodz has them . ( maybe he/him/them, might chime in ) :p

Attachments

• Yukon tail light housing.jpg
    Yukon tail light housing.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Yukon rear newest pic.jpg
    Yukon rear newest pic.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo