Need the Forums wisdom!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashunte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 OBS Cadillac Escalade, it has the Vortec 5.7L V-8. In the last two months, (I've had it five) it has not turned over like the engine was seized, but fires right up if I remove the spark plugs. I literally remove the spark plugs try to start it replace the spark plugs (same ones) and it fires right up. The first time I thought the owner just hadn't serviced it in a while so I bought new plugs+wires a starter+battery and changed oil+filter, but now it has happened again less than 2,000 miles later. Anybody have any idea what could be going on? I've searched the boards and researched the passlock system, I'm at the point of not letting the wife drive it, not sure when it will not start again is something I'm not keen on leaving her with even if we have AAA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the plugs look fouled at all?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try just removing the spark plug wires. You may have a bad wire. I am not familiar with your years setup but in my years across many different vehicles I have seen bad wires cause all kind of ish.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it is slow to turn over with plugs in but not out then i would look into battery wiring tested. there may be high resistance in a circuit some where it may conduct better after getting warm. a very slow turn over is not a passlock issue. you are either getting something in the cylinders that is possibly causing a hydro lock which is purged when the plugs are pulled and then cranked. or the electricity is not flowing correctly somewhere in the starting system. as far as the cylinders go do you get any amount at all of fuel, oil or coolant on the plugs or have it purge thru the plug holes when starting? if you have a fluid dripping out you for sure have narrowed the issue. what fluid you get would determine your next step. for the electric part examine your cables and ground straps for heat or physical damage.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from personal experience ive found that high resistiance can cause all sorts of wierd issues
one time the positive lead from the alternator to the orange box the terminal got lose inside the little orange box and that caused part of the wire to the positive terminal of my battery to overheat and melt part of the sheath of

OP
OP
A

Ashunte

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When it won't start it won't turn over almost like the battery is dead, just a click when I turn the key. More details the wife went to BJ's wholesale, stopped by Dairy Queen, and then went into the grocery store and came out no start. Plugs are surprisingly clean, and I have not even an oil leak from this vehicle only the no turnover thing so far.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts