98Tahoe crank no start... sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaseyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read a ton of crank no start posts and none are like mine. I have a 98 Tahoe with the 5.7. I drove it for about a year before out of nowhere it decided to not start. I did some research and checked the IDM, coil, fuel pressure, etc. it had spark and even if I put starter fluid down it's yap it still wouldn't fire off. The battery was starting to get drained so I put the trickle charger on it for a couple days. I went to start replacing ground wires and the thing fired right up. Drove it like that for over a month and then same thing. I went out and it wouldn't start. I tried to use my jumper pack but it didn't help and after cranking it would blink saying it was hooked up incorrectly... threw the trickle on it again and after two days I went out to push it out of the way of my jeep and again it fired right up. Seriously it turns over barely and fires off. I know I have fuel and spark and my air filter is new. Does the PCM need a certain voltage to work? Any ideas?

bsamole

Reaction score
Any codes? My 99 Tahoe that I have owned since new has went through 3 Crank Case sensors in 24 years. Same symptoms as you describe.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the great anti theft system. What was the light on the dash doing? I've been anti thefted by my own truck before.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a failing battery also. 12.2 -12.3 v would be about the lower limit error free.
First stop for a no start or miss is dist cap/rotor.

OP
OP
C

CaseyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No codes... Battery is 6 months old and Orielly's tested it and said it was good. They also said the alternator is good. No anti theft light on the dash.

I'll swap out the dist cap since I have it from the first time it didn't start. I didn't swap it because it started again and ran great. I also have the crank case sensor in case I need to swap that but I don't want to swap a bunch of things and not figure out what was actually wrong. I have my doubts about the alternator being good. It would make sense to me if the battery was drawn down just enough that it would crank like normal but didn't quite have enough for the computer to run. Might have to get it checked again.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More on the Minimum tool list- Spark tester, Fuel pressure guage preferably with long hose so you can stick it on windshield, Multimeter DVOM, Set up your scanner for Live Data, maybe 2 or three screens that you can run as needed. Don't wait for a failure to try to understand what "NORMAL" numbers are.
Bad batteries usually fail in 1st 6 months. How long will it sit not driven and still start? Usually a week to 10 days max without disconnecting battery. Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

CaseyA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
More on the Minimum tool list- Spark tester, Fuel pressure guage preferably with long hose so you can stick it on windshield, Multimeter DVOM, Set up your scanner for Live Data, maybe 2 or three screens that you can run as needed. Don't wait for a failure to try to understand what "NORMAL" numbers are.
Bad batteries usually fail in 1st 6 months. How long will it sit not driven and still start? Usually a week to 10 days max without disconnecting battery. Good Luck!
I have those tools. Thats how I was able to determine I have spark and fuel pressure at 55-57psi. I've run continuity with my multimeter to check grounds and voltage at the battery. What live data would be good to look at while its running? What about the data when it doesn't start? I haven't looked at my scanner other than to check for codes... Again, I've searched this forum and did most if not all of the test's that you guys have said to do in other posts, that's why I made my own.
I can get my battery checked again easily but it doesn't sit more than a day or two without starting. Also when it doesn't start the battery is able to crank the motor easily and doesn't seem to be drained at all. I crank on it pretty good, like it's my 7.3 powerstroke in the cold... haha I think I might let it sit for a week or two and see if it'll start. Then it it doesn't start, charge the battery again to see if that changes things.
Another thing I think is weird is that my jumper that does fine with my powerstroke didn't seem to help and also after cranking on it blinked that it was hooked up incorrectly.
This is will crank, no start condition. Thank you for your reply!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have those tools. Thats how I was able to determine I have spark and fuel pressure at 55-57psi. I've run continuity with my multimeter to check grounds and voltage at the battery. What live data would be good to look at while its running? What about the data when it doesn't start? I haven't looked at my scanner other than to check for codes... Again, I've searched this forum and did most if not all of the test's that you guys have said to do in other posts, that's why I made my own.
I can get my battery checked again easily but it doesn't sit more than a day or two without starting. Also when it doesn't start the battery is able to crank the motor easily and doesn't seem to be drained at all. I crank on it pretty good, like it's my 7.3 powerstroke in the cold... haha I think I might let it sit for a week or two and see if it'll start. Then it it doesn't start, charge the battery again to see if that changes things.
Another thing I think is weird is that my jumper that does fine with my powerstroke didn't seem to help and also after cranking on it blinked that it was hooked up incorrectly.
This is will crank, no start condition. Thank you for your reply!
Your fuel pressure is low. Is that key on eng off? Running idle? Running highway steady state? My experience on this vintage is 60# min.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts