Need Sundown advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtoothowd

Reaction score
ok so back in Jan. or Feb. i began getting things together for my system install. and with all the rage i read about hear and on other websites about Sundown i figured i wouldnt be dissappointed with their product. now its 6 months after install and i wouldnt say im not impressed but i know i can get more out of setup. I'm not a guru yet and still have ALOT of learning to do so im coming to you guys.

I have the:
pioneer AVH4300dvd headunit
Sundown SAZ-1500
Sundown SA-15 D4
Stinger 0awg wire kit with 2nd Optima battery
Can't remember exact box dimensions but its tuned at 33hz. and i think around 7cf. Subs facing ceiling with port at bottom of box toward hatch.

i have yet to do the big 3 upgrade but will hopefully be doing it today.

I'm curious if i have the subs wired correct. The diagrahm i used.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

and im not to positive on my tuning. I have my:
-gain set at 38.72 volts with HU on flat and Sub-level at +6 on HU. HU LPF at 50hz.
-Bass Boost at 0.
-Subsonic at roughly 30.
-LPF at roughly 80.
-Phase at 0.

I know i can get more out of this but i know its something im doing wrong. considering building another box also.

any input?

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably the box. If I remember correctly, that sub is 600 watts RMS. You are wired to 1 ohm so you're probably overpowering the sub by over double RMS. The more power you run, the smaller the box should be so 7 cubic feet is way too big. You should probably be in the 4-5 cubic foot range tuned in the low 30s. You should look into buying a set of plans for your box. They're like $30-40 and will be matched to your resonance and setup. It will make a big difference. Everything else looks fine. Maybe increase the LP filter to 63 or 80 hz. Get the big 3 done and check your voltage.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree the box is your issue. there are plans online and boxes are not difficult you just need to make all the custs square so there are no seam gaps.. but i think with a different box you woul get a better sound.. you can for the time beeing toss a few pillows CHEAP ones from walmart in the box and eat up some of that air space and make it sound better untill you get a smaller box..

OP
OP
djtoothowd

djtoothowd

Reaction score
i had a local shop draw up the box dimensions for me for $50. it sounded pretty good when i first got it but then i started doing some research and decided to re-tune and now doesnt sound nothing like it did. I mainly want to change the way its ported. it only has one baffle from front to back. the guy who drew up my cut sheets said he made it to where i didnt need one goin up the back wall...if that makes since

ive found a few box ideas on the web that other people have drawn up for the same subs and for a tahoe that i may try. and as far as the cuts being square...i dont think i have any issue there. i used PLENTY of wood glue...lol the box is sterdy...i will try to find my plans and get u guys the dimensions when i get off this afternoon.

Last edited:

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big is your port? You might get more output by going with a bigger port.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the same SA-15 @ 2ohms @ 1000watts RMS and it sounds super nice. I had a box designed for $65 from Pete at PWK Designs. Good stuff.

OP
OP
djtoothowd

djtoothowd

Reaction score
ok. last nite i set my gain at 38.72 volts again (with speakers connected) and the knob is only maybe 1/4 or 3/8 of the ways up....that cant be right, can it? I'm not using bass boost at all because everywhere ive read, thats putting a death wish on your subs...i mean i expected the knob to be about 3/4 of the way up...or at least half. i can turn the gain knob all the way up and still not have much distortion...not sure about clipping...to be honest im not positive what clipping is..(dont judge me, still learning the "correct" way. ive always been the "tune by ear guy".)

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your gain sounds right. What's the preout voltage of your headunit? Unless you have an oscope or a DD-1, you won't know if you're clipping. I'm pretty sure its your box.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

groundscr8pr

flaccid member
Reaction score
turn the lpf off on your deck.. if you cant.. turn it off on the amp and only use one of them. and set lpf for around 80.. if it sounded good then you re tuned it and it now sounds bad i highly doubt its the equipment!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yote1