I need help with 2002 z71 tahoe 5.3 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricardortorres355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was testing an amp and subs. Accidentally jumped the remote cable off the 4x4 fuse instead of the wipers one. I drive about 20 minutes and I noticed the service 4wd started displaying. I realized what I did and removed the wire I had jumped off. Put 4x4 fuse back on and service 4wd dissappeared. Kept driving back home and when getting on the interstate and trying to accelerate it stopped at about 30 mph. I heard noises. I know they came from under the truck. It stopped moving and would just revv up. It rolls on r/d/3/2/1 etc except when I put it in park. Park engages fine. I have to mess with lever, turn off or sometimes just wait and it’ll work just fine until it reaches 30 mph or a certain amount of time, less than a minute in idle and it won’t move anymore.

I know I’m stupid for what I did to it but i want to fix it whatever it takes so I would appreciate some advice.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and more will follow.

OP
OP
ricardortorres355

ricardortorres355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you cycled your transfer case between different settings?
If you’re referring to the switch buttons yes I have, it seems to work, I hear it when I press the buttons but it does seem like it’s missing the way it use to move the truck physically when it would engage after pressing the buttons.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I was testing an amp and subs. Accidentally jumped the remote cable off the 4x4 fuse instead of the wipers one. I drive about 20 minutes and I noticed the service 4wd started displaying. I realized what I did and removed the wire I had jumped off. Put 4x4 fuse back on and service 4wd dissappeared. Kept driving back home and when getting on the interstate and trying to accelerate it stopped at about 30 mph. I heard noises. I know they came from under the truck. It stopped moving and would just revv up. It rolls on r/d/3/2/1 etc except when I put it in park. Park engages fine. I have to mess with lever, turn off or sometimes just wait and it’ll work just fine until it reaches 30 mph or a certain amount of time, less than a minute in idle and it won’t move anymore.

I know I’m stupid for what I did to it but i want to fix it whatever it takes so I would appreciate some advice.
Always get your remote wire for the amplifier either off the back of the radio or made minimum off the ignition key

Your issue sounds pretty odd
Did the fuse blow?
I wonder if there’s a recalibration for the actuator on the transfer case?
I’ve also had the push button for the 4x4 go bad on me I wonder if it fried it somehow?
This is why I miss the old dog leg in the floor over the push button junk they got now

OP
OP
ricardortorres355

ricardortorres355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Always get your remote wire for the amplifier either off the back of the radio or made minimum off the ignition key

Your issue sounds pretty odd
Did the fuse blow?
I wonder if there’s a recalibration for the actuator on the transfer case?
I’ve also had the push button for the 4x4 go bad on me I wonder if it fried it somehow?
This is why I miss the old dog leg in the floor over the push button junk they got now
It probably fried something, it was a pretty powerful amp

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
It probably fried something, it was a pretty powerful amp
When my push button went out it had locked the transfer case in 4H until I got another button
I think I manually moved it back in 2H from under the truck but I can’t remember it’s been so long ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts