Advice needed, Stabilitrack and Passenger Airbag lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is a really long one, hoping for some advice.

1. The Stabilitrack issue.

First the backstory.

Received my front coilovers back from Accutune and installed. Tuner and I are happy with the installed shock and spring length with the 600lb springs.

Installed the rear Dobinson springs (C09-037) and Fox DSC rear shocks. Suspension feels dialed, I am very happy with the new setup. Accidentally unplugged one of the rear wheel speed sensor cables so caught a code when I started it up. Plugged it back in and all was good.

On Wednesday got an alignment. Picked it up and ABS Service Stabilitrack message was on. Had to pickup at closing time but had an appointment to return on Friday to swap the steering rack which was showing its age.

After the steering rack install I asked again if the steering sensor had been calibrated. Tech swore the code was due to the wheel speed sensor that needed to be replaced (code showed passed since plugging it back in).

Got home plugged into Tech II The code reads C0710 and the Steering Wheel Position shows -360 when the steering wheel is straight. When turning right the number goes towards 0 with no problems, however when turning left and the number passes around -400* throws a Stabilitrack code instantly.

I will be going in to the shop tomorrow to speak with them again, but was wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Also if anyone happens to know the proper Steering Wheel Position degree when wheel is centered? I am assuming 0* but would be great to have confirmation.

2. Passenger Airbag issue

I have been dealing with an Airbag light on and off for the last couple of months. First started on a mild offroad trip after hitting a bump in the trail. The code comes on and off at random ever since.

Originally I was using an inexpensive Autel unit and received the following codes B0081-0f and B0081-71 so I assumed the passenger presence pad was faulty and replaced it with a used unit from Ebay. Still dealing with the code I finally purchased a Tech II.

The interesting thing is the Tech II shows a completely different code, B0071 Symptom 7. This now indicates that the Passenger Seat Belt Tension Sensor may be the culprit. I unplugged, checked and reconnected the plug I believe to be the the 3 wire potentiometer. I don’t know where to start with this one.

I apologize for the lengthy post and sincerely appreciate any advice you can give me.

Last edited:

Mosska

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the Stabilitrack issue appeared after the alignment and steering rack replacement, it's crucial to ensure that the steering sensor is correctly calibrated. Improper calibration can lead to stability control issues.The initial ABS Service Stabilitrack message might have been triggered by the unplugged wheel speed sensor. However, if the issue persists after reconnection, it's essential to verify the sensor's functionality and check for any damage.The C0710 code you retrieved indicates an issue with the steering position sensor. The negative value when the wheel is straight suggests a potential calibration or sensor problem.

OP
OP
Project Workshop

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Stabilitrack issue appeared after the alignment and steering rack replacement, it's crucial to ensure that the steering sensor is correctly calibrated. Improper calibration can lead to stability control issues.The initial ABS Service Stabilitrack message might have been triggered by the unplugged wheel speed sensor. However, if the issue persists after reconnection, it's essential to verify the sensor's functionality and check for any damage.The C0710 code you retrieved indicates an issue with the steering position sensor. The negative value when the wheel is straight suggests a potential calibration or sensor problem.
Thank you so much for your reply! So the rack was replaced a couple of days after the alignment which initially caused the code to pop up. I did a bit of research online and bought a subscription to alldatadiy and cannot find a way to electronically calibrate the sensor. I thought it was a common step after an alignment but I’m a bit stumped.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've listed some of the Tech 2 paths for steering control/calibration that may be helpful to you.

Power Steering Control Module – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Antilock Brake System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Chassis > Special Functions
Steering Column Tilt In/Out – Body and Accessories > Seats > Special Functions > DPM
Steering Pos. Sensor Calibration – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions > Power Steering Control Module
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/BLW ICCS3 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/Magnasteer > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > Delco/Bosch ABS/TCS ICCS2 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/TIM > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/TIM/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES/BLW > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS1 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS2 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS3 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Steering > Variable Effort Steering System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Tuning Selection – Chassis > Electric Power Steering > Special Functions
Steering Tuning Selection – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions > Power Steering Control Module

OP
OP
Project Workshop

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've listed some of the Tech 2 paths for steering control/calibration that may be helpful to you.

Power Steering Control Module – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Antilock Brake System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Brakes > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Angle Sensor Centering – Chassis > Special Functions
Steering Column Tilt In/Out – Body and Accessories > Seats > Special Functions > DPM
Steering Pos. Sensor Calibration – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions > Power Steering Control Module
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/BLW ICCS3 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/Magnasteer > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > ABS/TCS/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > Delco/Bosch ABS/TCS ICCS2 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/TIM > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/TIM/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES/BLW > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS1 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS2 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Chassis > TCS ICCS3 > Special Functions
Steering Position Sensor Test – Steering > Variable Effort Steering System > Special Functions > Electronic Brake Control Module
Steering Tuning Selection – Chassis > Electric Power Steering > Special Functions
Steering Tuning Selection – Steering > Power Steering System > Special Functions > Power Steering Control Module
Thank you so much for this! It’s the strangest thing I can’t locate it. I can find most of those routes, but not the calibration function.

OP
OP
Project Workshop

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So an update here with the mechanic.

They put it back on the rack and said the steering sensor is now set to 0* but still getting the Traction Control code.

He said that because the airbag light is on it is triggering the traction control system. I have a replacement passenger buckle on order that I am hoping will solve the airbag issue.

Wondering if anyone has encountered this in the past? Seems odd to me that the airbag light has been on for a couple of months as I have been troubleshooting it and now the traction control light triggers the same time the alignment was done.

OP
OP
Project Workshop

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the passenger seat buckle replacement will resolve your issue.
Thanks, I hope so. It should be in towards the end of the week. I ordered a replacement GM steering sensor as well. Searching around the GM Forum, it sounds like a common problem with the C0710 code

OP
OP
Project Workshop

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update!

Just picked up a new seat belt buckle, GM #19121541. Installed it in the parking lot of the dealer, fired her up, and no more airbag light!

Stabilitrack is still lit up, but I have an appointment set for tomorrow with my mechanic to replace the steering wheel sensor. Will keep y’all updated, thank you again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660