Need advice on buying 2016 LTZ or Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We’re interested in either the 2016 Tahoe LTZ or maybe a Denali, and I’ve got a bunch of questions.. So can you give me some advice about what model I should get, based on the preferences listed below?

Here in Upstate NY they only seem to offer $2,000 off. I’ve seen some posts about great prices near St Louis. So I’m willing to buy out of state. Years ago I bought cars in Ct and NJ, but the dealers were close to the state line and did all of the paperwork and got it registered and got plates.

But what’s the process to buy a car out of state when you’re flying 1,000 miles away and need to drive it home? Do you pay in advance without ever seeing the vehicle in person? I’d hope you can back out if you show up and it’s damaged or dinged up or it has a lot more test miles on it than they said. Do they give you temporary plates?

Anyone know of dealers in the northeast who give good discounts?

We rented a rwd Tahoe LTZ in Florida for a week and loved it. Loved the keyless entry, cooled seats, power hatch, nav. probably would want all of those. We’re in NY, so we need the 4wd.

Might prefer to not have the the sunroof. We’ve had them in many cars and open them maybe two times a year, mostly to let bugs or odors out. The extra light is nice, but we may end in Az in a few years and may not want the extra light. Can you get a high end model without the sunroof?

Don’t have a need for the video/dvd system as it will 99% of the time be me and the wife and occasionally adult friends. Are there any out there without the rear video system but with the nav system?

Do the heated seats get hot? In the rental LTZ they seemed to get barely warm. The cooling feature was fantastic.

What’s the real world gas mileage of the 6.2 with 8speed vs the 5.3 with the 6speed?

How’s the traction/driving in the snow with the OEM standard tires? Do you need to have snows tires for the typical upstate NY winters?

What are the differences between an LTZ and Denali besides the engine/tranny? I’m having a hard time finding out the differences in the models. I thought i read once that the Denalis had thicker glass or more insulation or something and was a bit quieter. Is that correct?

Anyone try both and decide the Denali was definitely better or more value?

Would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Organs_Rare

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fact that you can afford either I would go with Denali. Bigger engine, quieter (apparently), nicer looking in my opinion. I drove my girlfriends parents escalade which has the 6.2 litre and the power is just awesome. Gas mileage for me was important though.

I have Tahoe LT. On a prank the heated seats were warm enough to wake my brother up so not sure why LTZ wouldn't warm up enough. Gas milage average for me is 17 mpg. I live in the city but travel on the highway quite a bit as well.

Got-Boost?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just went through this entire process car shopping for a bigger vehicle to haul more kids. We went back and forth on both. I actually ordered a Tahoe and when it arrived the dealer started playing games on the price. I walked away and started my search for another and honestly couldn't find ANY like I wanted. No DVD, no sunroof where my first requirements and then the color my wife wanted. Once I had that down I searched and searched all of Texas and Louisiana and couldn't find one Tahoe/Yukon like I wanted. Ended up stopping into a GMC dealer to test drive the Denali with the 6.2/8-speed and really liked it. I told the salesman no rush and what I was looking for, planned on Nov/Dec time frame to purchase. He called me back two days later saying one EXACTLY like we wanted just arrived at another dealer in town and he would dealer trade them. My wife preferred the looks of the Tahoe but I emailed him what I was willing to pay and without any fuss he matched everything I wanted (under invoice) so we ended up with a Yukon. Can't really explain how happy I've been with it up to this point. It's our first new GM vehicle, I was a Ford guy forever and been into European cars since. I planned on getting a 2016 F150 but decided we wanted the third row and didn't like the Expedition/Navigator.

First tank of gas averaged 23.8 mostly highway....lifetime average right now shows 19.6mpg with city driving factored in (ours is 2WD).

Haven't had it in the snow so couldn't tell you but anything this size with proper snow tires and 4WD would be almost unstoppable.

I couldn't tell you the difference (still learning myself) between the two but for what the LTZ was going to cost, may as well spend a hair more for the Denali IMO.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on both post.
I almost bought 15 LTZ but ended up with a Denali for a few bucks more... I love the 6.2 and added horses!

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re interested in either the 2016 Tahoe LTZ or maybe a Denali, and I’ve got a bunch of questions.. So can you give me some advice about what model I should get, based on the preferences listed below?

Here in Upstate NY they only seem to offer $2,000 off. I’ve seen some posts about great prices near St Louis. So I’m willing to buy out of state. Years ago I bought cars in Ct and NJ, but the dealers were close to the state line and did all of the paperwork and got it registered and got plates.

But what’s the process to buy a car out of state when you’re flying 1,000 miles away and need to drive it home? Do you pay in advance without ever seeing the vehicle in person? I’d hope you can back out if you show up and it’s damaged or dinged up or it has a lot more test miles on it than they said. Do they give you temporary plates?

Anyone know of dealers in the northeast who give good discounts?

We rented a rwd Tahoe LTZ in Florida for a week and loved it. Loved the keyless entry, cooled seats, power hatch, nav. probably would want all of those. We’re in NY, so we need the 4wd.

Might prefer to not have the the sunroof. We’ve had them in many cars and open them maybe two times a year, mostly to let bugs or odors out. The extra light is nice, but we may end in Az in a few years and may not want the extra light. Can you get a high end model without the sunroof?

Don’t have a need for the video/dvd system as it will 99% of the time be me and the wife and occasionally adult friends. Are there any out there without the rear video system but with the nav system?

Do the heated seats get hot? In the rental LTZ they seemed to get barely warm. The cooling feature was fantastic.

What’s the real world gas mileage of the 6.2 with 8speed vs the 5.3 with the 6speed?

How’s the traction/driving in the snow with the OEM standard tires? Do you need to have snows tires for the typical upstate NY winters?

What are the differences between an LTZ and Denali besides the engine/tranny? I’m having a hard time finding out the differences in the models. I thought i read once that the Denalis had thicker glass or more insulation or something and was a bit quieter. Is that correct?

Anyone try both and decide the Denali was definitely better or more value?

Would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give.

On a clean deal, I'm thinking $1,500 under invoice plus any incentives would be fair.
Just go to a dealer and ask, but go directly to the new car manager. Don't cloud up the deal by working with a salesman who will undoubtably mess up the communication.
Just be ready to buy on the spot and bring your check book.
I would suggest going to see Jose at Robert Basil.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, IMO, you will be much happier with the 6.2l
I won't own another 5.3l in a heavy SUV.

Groucho

Reaction score
I have had 5 new vehicles with the 5.3 engine, which is sufficient. But as soon as I drove the 6.2 in the Denali...Well...I haven't smiled that much since I sold my Vette. Gas mileage is the same or better in the 6.2 so far.
I also did not want the sunroof or DVD. But many said....resale is a challenge without it. I don't use either...I ended up getting it.

PinkAle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about just ordering exactly what you want. I'm doing that I have one on order for the wife and will order mine next year. When you're spending 70k+ You deserve to get what you want and not just settle also it may be hard to find one without the features you don't want so even if you get a decent discount that could go away very quickly when you're paying for things you don't want. My company offers us an employee discount so I didn't haggle. The differences between the Denali and others HID lights bigger engine better fit and finish the last one is my opinion oh and magnetic ride control. I went with the Denali on both

Reaction score
I would say Denali I haven't owned mine long but I drove them back to back, the 5.3 is fine in my opinion (everything is faster than a jeep) but the 6.2 is better.. And I like the style of the Denali better. Also, at least in Florida where 4x4 is scarce, it was easier to find a 4x4 Denali

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm critical with the 5.3l because my state isn't flat like Florida. In those situations, I'm sure it is adequate.

When the 5.3 encounters a Pennsylvania or NY interstate mountain, it falls flat, especially with the 6 speed unable to hold OD in a heavy vehicle. Forget towing anything.

No such issues at all with the 6.2, 8 speed.
It's not that the 6.2l is fast, or reminds me of a sports car. What it has is a lot more torque, and coupled with the 8 speed, has a much easier time of dragging that lead sled SUV up and down mountains on cruise control fully loaded without shifting.
The 6.2l makes a much smoother ride knowing that the vehicle is adequately powered for its size.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuckchill