NBS third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about modding it or even just trying to repair it. But the damn thing looks like its melted shut on the seams. No glue, the plastics actually are melted together. So either they used a machine to heat them just on the edges to fuse it together, or else they applied a glue similar to PVC pipe glue that actually melts the plastic.

Yeah, I know what you mean!! I've actually taken apart a 4 wheeler tail light before that was sealed like that!! I actually took a razor knife to the edges and cut it open, took quite a bit of work but was able to get the back to separate from the lens half way decently.
Also, if you go that route, you should "TYF" the LED's in it for everyone to see when you step on your brakes!! :waytogo:

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even think a razor would work. I would probably have to cut it open with a dremel, or use a razor heated up with a torch. Both of which seem like its more trouble than its worth. I will just find a new one, and maybe keep this one to tinker with if I am bored one day if anything.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a dremel would probably work well to open that up!! I would also be looking for a new one if I were you too, more hassle than it's worth!! Glad to hear you were able to figure out the problem!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
lo id just hack at it and make something cool just because i was bored.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never really looked at how it was together, but sounds like its like the new camaro's. They have to cut them open to put retro or halos or whatever. Might be the fogs, but i know one of them.

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My third brake also flickers and such. That $44 light from amazon seems like a great deal.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scott? sorry forgot, lol. i had one for you but dropped it. But sending pic of my brake light soon.

kwood129

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I decided to cut open my 3rd brake light. It is LED and it seems that the LEDs go out easily. Its like Christmas tree lights, once the LEDs start going out the entire light quits working. I found 3 of them bad in mine. Replaced the bad ones and its now working once again. Took a little time getting it open but the repair only cost a few cents. Since the cheapest ones are still around 40 bucks I think it was a good repair. Just thought I would share.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 4

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd brake light

I know you posted about this a year ago. I was just wondering if you had details on cutting it open and resealing it thanks.

kwood129

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used a dremel with a cutting wheel for opening it up. Once opened blow out all of the plastic dust and chips. Then go to work on finding the bad leds. When I was finished I just used silicone to reseal. Mine has been working for a year now so I guess it will be ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900