NBS third brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this evening as my wife was driving my truck I noticed that the the high mounted 3rd brake light is not working at all. But the two brake lights in the tails are working just fine.
I didn't get a chance to look at it yet. Is there a light bulb in there or is it LEDs? The way it lit up I thought it was LEDs. If it is LEDs, I need to find out if the light is definitely bad or if I have a wiring problem.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an LED light, and before you go replacing it, be sure to check and see if your Cruise control works. If it doesn't work, go through ALL your fuses because I had a fuse out some years ago that knocked out the 3rd brake light and my cruise control. Can't remember which fuse it was but it was in the fuse box in the truck by the drivers door and the fuse didn't say anything about the 3rd brake light or CC!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris! Didn't know if there was a fuse just for the upper light. I will check into that tomorrow when I get off work. I have a badass testlight. It's a PowerProbe III. I was planning on pulling that out to confirm whether or not the wire was getting power when the pedal was pressed. If it isnt, I can press a button on the tester to apply 12volts to the light. If it lights up, then I know for sure its a wiring or fuse problem. If I am getting power, and the light still doesn't light up when I try and power it with the test probe, then I know for sure the light is bad.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That probe sounds awesome, I'm searching for one online as we speak!! I want!!
As for the fuse, I had the problem after I had a brake controller installed at our chevy dealership and shortly after that I noticed that the brake light wasn't working as well as the CC. It took the chevy tech 45 minutes of checking everything else including all the fuses labeled for the brake light to finally find a different fuse not referenced to the light blown!! So if in doubt, check all your fuses!! He was soo pissed when he found it because he looked like a fool because I was standing next to him the whole time!! lol

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out these videos. This thing is worth its weight in gold. I paid about $150 shipped for the one I have. I have a kit with a bunch of attachments, I think its called a master kit.

[YT]94npWntQY2g[/YT]

[YT]kD6u0G7L4l0[/YT]

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's so incredibly sweet!! I have a few multimeters and even have a portable DC power supply but nothing with both combined!! I found one on Ebay and have it on my watch list so I don't forget to look for one when I run into some spare money in the future!! Thanks for sharing the info and good luck with your light problem!! If you are ever in a crunch and don't have your power probe handy, you can always take a 9V battery to test if your 3rd brake light works!!

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I used my cruise control on the way to work this morning, and it works fine. So I dunno if that's good news or bad news. I will have to investigate more when I get home this evening. At least narrow it down to whether its bad wiring or a bad light.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's weird!! Hopefully it's just a bad fuse and not a bad light!! With your power probe, you should be able to make quick work on figuring that out!

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I had to replace my third brake light because it went out. I bought aftermarket on EBAY for around $40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd