My project...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't looked into flywheel. It's an auto. Maybe the flex plate though?

As far as a bearing problem, i m not sure what it could be? I torqued all to spec as in the manual, double triple checked orientation. All were inspected by machine shop and resized etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the mechanic today and he's going to drop the pan. He swears it's a clearance issue somewhere. Researched some more into parts I bought and pump and pickup are sealed power units but all for 5.7 vortec engines per Rock Auto. Same for the pan too. Anyone ever hear of windage tray interference?

He seems confused how it doesn't come on until the RPMS stabilize... Usually after about 10 seconds of run time.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah flex plate on an auto.

Yeah your oil pump is starved for oil and you happen to hear a little tick, not a knock or other catastrophic sound, that's most likely it. Hahahaha

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This was resolved. Culprit was a cheap summit oil pan.

Now chasing a valve train gremlin. Has a sound that sounds like a spring binding and unloading. Definitely top end.

Has the comp retainers and keepers that allow you more clearance for an LT4 hot cam. Also LS6 Springs and new 1.5RRs

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who setup the installed height of the springs?? Those LS springs need to be set dead on in these heads ...

99Vortec

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing resolution.

Could you see where the rotating assembly was contacting the pan?

Or was it blocking the pickup?

Any pics?

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys the offending pan was this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3503

The mechanic said that there was nothing 'wrong' with it, however the Doorman we bought as a replacement did have a noticable 1/4" or so of clearence so maybe a mfg oversight or something would have been to blame.

The truck seems to be running fine. Heard it fire up this weekend and sounds great.
Mechanic seems to be apprehensive about the oil flow and functioning of the lifters. I went with the GM LS7 ones mostly due to cost and everything I saw online pointing to them being a replacement for almost all previous GM hyd roller lifters. He is concerned about the oiling. And the fact that at ¾ turn past zero lash adjustment the truck will hardly run. I believe he set them at 3/8 of a turn and that seemed to work fine. No noticeable ticking or knocking at all, and truck was up to temp.
Does anyone have a comparison of the LS7 to std. vortec lifter? Or at minimum a detailed picture of a stock vortec lifter?

Thanks!

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got her out of the shop and drove around Saturday. Everything seemed okay except for the timing. Getting infamous P1345 code. Mechanic swears up and down he has the distributor dead on but can't get it timed correctly.

Cam was installed straight up and double/triple checked to have the dots on the gears lined up. Mech performed successful relearn process with a snap on modis and everything completed just fine but the truck still wants to run like a dog.

Also, I did see where the crank was contacting the pan. It was a pretty good sized ding. I'll have pics next weekend.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667