My project...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind guys. Was just a goofy distributor. She's running like a top!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had it now for almost a month and everything is smooth. Only kinks I can think of is that it almost wants to die on startup and after shifting into drive. Could this be a tune issue? I have a Blackbear PCM.

Also seems the alternator pulley or bearing is bad... Gonna replace that this weekend...

The big thing is the AC. We charged the system on Saturday last week and it was cooling good. By Wednesday it was no longer cooling. Compressor seemed to be turning on and running fine when charged. Way way back when I bought the truck I was told something about the compressor housing being warped and there being a leak there, but it held pressure for over a year with no problems. After the engine was done it seemed to have leaked out but now it's over the course of a few days.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
N

no cigar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I replaced the IAC valve and it started right up... About a week later, it's back up to its old ways... This was a cheap Oreilley IAC that I put in. Could it be bad already?

Ac was fixed with a couple of cheap valves and fixed a major oil leak. Seems the installer neglected to put any RTV on the timing cover/pan/block area and left the front bolts a 'little' loose.

All in all it's been a fun project and I am seriously thinking about keeping this ride. Now, one of the things that's been on my mind is doing a 5.3 LS Vortec build to run E85. What do y'all think?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the pickup to pan clearance checked when putting it together? Also, if the crank was hitting the pan you should have felt it when turning the crank by hand. You can't assume all parts for an SBC will fit other SBC's. You always have to check for clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667