MSD coil! 8226

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im reading through your postings and i noticed hte lakc of crank on startup, i have a 95 yuko with tbi and i also have that, i even had to change my auto start on my alarm system to past 2 seconds. im a little confused on all the upgrades mentioned above..... im barely trying to learn about engines or atleast mine. any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Cranking is the time prior to startup, having that time before startup can be ignition issue or fuel or etc.. Upgrading and doing tuneups can help you crank time..

Your remote start shouldnt have anything to do with the cranking time..

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
He had to set up his remote start so it would actually start the engine. Hence the "past 2 seconds" due to the cranck time.

I am on my phone so cant give you some links where you can read up on TBIs. Go to tbichips.com and read through his TBI Mods page though that would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
im reading through your postings and i noticed hte lakc of crank on startup, i have a 95 yuko with tbi and i also have that, i even had to change my auto start on my alarm system to past 2 seconds. im a little confused on all the upgrades mentioned above..... im barely trying to learn about engines or atleast mine. any help would be appreciated.

this is for TBI trucks.. so year 95 only.. youll have to select vortecs if yours is a 96 or above..
http://www.tbichips.com/truckmods.htm

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do keep up with my reg tuneups, i use mobil1 synthetic. I have an msd coil also use msd wires with discap n rotor from msd and use acdelco platinum plugs. but even before i put those things in it was the same 2 second laggin time. It never got worse or better, im assuming its something with fuel because when i do my remote start in the morning and it is very cold outside for some reason even with the 2 second crank it wont turn on, so i turn off the remote start then walk to my truck and put the key in and as soon as i turn the key VROOM cranks up in a mili second. so i figure that crankin must move the fuel on up the lines too were its just at the door step. but ofcourse im nothing close to a mechanic so im just taking a wild guess. i have been thinking of getting thet msd 6al box wondering if it would work, but i will research that site and see if i can understand anything (my engine lingo isnt up to par). i really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply aswell as give advice. thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Could be a fuel issue as well. Do you have an aftermarket intake setup or filter dirty? Have you replaced your fuel filter recently as well?? check those out and see what happens. What year is your truck? A guy on here named FalconForever uses E3 plugs and say they work very very well on his vortec motor.... if you get time, check out those prices :) haha he said around 50bucks for all 8.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Cranck time on TBIs will be normal, has to do how fuel is delievered to the engine. I just finished doing a tune up, upgrading to a MSD Ignition sytem, Dyna-Mod ignition module and AC Delco Platinum plugs. Also installed a brand new injector assembly so I know both the injectors are pushing 12psi. Fuel filter and pump have been replaced a few thousand miles ago and I still get a 1 second cranck time LoL

I wouldn't bother with the 6AL box, you will only really notice it on heavily moddified engines. What route are you trying to go with your engine/Yukon?

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a fuel issue as well. Do you have an aftermarket intake setup or filter dirty? Have you replaced your fuel filter recently as well?? check those out and see what happens. What year is your truck? A guy on here named FalconForever uses E3 plugs and say they work very very well on his vortec motor.... if you get time, check out those prices :) haha he said around 50bucks for all 8.

i have a 1995, i have a K&N air filter with the chrome cover, i keep it clean and all my tune up stuff is alwaysup to date other then the msd stuff mentioned before nothing else is new. i dont have vortec.

Cranck time on TBIs will be normal, has to do how fuel is delievered to the engine. I just finished doing a tune up, upgrading to a MSD Ignition sytem, Dyna-Mod ignition module and AC Delco Platinum plugs. Also installed a brand new injector assembly so I know both the injectors are pushing 12psi. Fuel filter and pump have been replaced a few thousand miles ago and I still get a 1 second cranck time LoL

I wouldn't bother with the 6AL box, you will only really notice it on heavily moddified engines. What route are you trying to go with your engine/Yukon?

how much the msd ignition system cost you? and what does it consist of? also the injector assembly. i always change the fuel filter and i pump 91 idk if that even matters??? id like to ask that.... do type of gas matter? am i just wasting money? i also use full synthetic, i dont have much performance stuff if any so also do you guys think im just wasting money by doing these two things?
id love to get my crank time down to 1 second. ive hurd normal is 1.4 sec well atleast thats what the auto start comes programmed as.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Theres a couple components for the MSD ignition like stated before. Those numbers are the part number... and est price
ignition box- 6al 6420 between 150 and 200 bucks
distributor - 8366 around 250 to 300
wires- 31419 90 bucks
plug and play harness from coil to 6al- 8876 20-40 bucks
coil- 8226 30 to 45 bucks

I bought all my stuff on ebay and got some good deals. I dont believe MSD sells just a cap and rotor, i dont even know if they make them for out stock distributor.. but thats a couple things up there.. MSD doesnt make plugs obviously..

You can get electric fans to help mpgs, throttle response, colder AC and much much more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk