Mrc tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone posted the new 18 denali rides totally different than his last two.

So my question is, can we get the 15-17 denalis recalibrated with the 18 tune? I am willing to try anything to get this thing better.

The Escalades ride 10x better on each of its settings WITH the bigger rims even...

GMC was worthless and told me to call the dealer.
Dealer said they would look into if it’s possibel to add the current tuning.
I have an appointment on weds!
Fingers crossed

Last edited by a moderator:

formula271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please keep us posted what you find regarding "tuning" the MRC.

I have a '15 Suburban LTZ with the MRC and have always thought the ride was terrible. It's harsh and floaty at the same time...unable to absorb small or large impacts, trasnmitting them sharply to the cabin. The harshness reverberates thru the structure, too. Meanwhile, there is a disconnected floatiness....like a lack of damping, felt from the Front and Rear.

Last week, I brought my vehicle in for another isssue (driver's seat cushion heater not working) and mentioned the 'harsh ride' concern....a day after driving a loaner 2017 Tahoe LT. They did say my Front Struts were leaking, and replaced them under warranty, but mentioned the rear was OK. Also, they said there were no updates to the MRC ECU available. The front strut replacement seems to make the smallest of improvement to ride...but I would guess most people would never notice.

As mentioned, prior to disclosing my 'harsh ride' concern to the dealer, I had been given a 2017 Tahoe LT as a loaner. Same 20" wheels and Continental Tires as my December build 2015 LTZ. Of course, the Tahoe did not have the MRC. WOW....the Tahoe felt unbelievably good....damped, controlled, never harsh... better than my Suburban ever has! Prior to this, I convinced myself that my Suburban was just a truck, so accept the crappy ride. And now, I would do anything for the ride of the base suspension, shorter wheel base Tahoe!

I would love to know what improvements were done and, of those, what are available for the 2015's.

Also, I recall reading in another thread someone mentioning the improved throttle response feel in the 2018 Denali vs. 2015 Denali. Similarly, I felt the same thing with the 2017 Tahoe vs. my 2015 Suburban. The Tahoe felt correct...stepping out very proporionately with the amount of pedal used. Despite my Suburban (with Tow package and Low range transfer case and, therefore, numerical higher rear end) having a gearing advantage, feels sluggish by comparision. This, too, dealer said was not something with an available update.

Interesting that the 2017's vs. the 2015 show a weight gain of ~100lbs or so....if that's accurate, would be very curious where those pounds went!

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found a mrc delete plug for the 15+... however:

Since the rear shocks have the airbags contained on them, I need to figure a way around that.

My one idea is to get the delete plugs. Then invest in a set of nice king or fox remote reservoir 2 way adjustable coilovers for the front and rear, and then find a set of bags for the rear and make a bracket to fit the bags in the spring perch or the old shock mount depending on where the coilovers end up going.

Then I’ll run the factory Air lines to the aftermarket bags...

I still need to get under there and find out what needs to go where, then find an adequate long travel bag, and then fab up a set of brackets.

Cost wise is astronomical and I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

The delete plugs are $450 or so, the coilovers are dang near between 600 and a grand a piece, and then there is the cheap part... the bags lol! And the metal to fab the brackets.

So at best I’m looking at $3200 and worst... $5k

That’s a lot to fix this shit to make it worth fixing.

Considering the weight of these trucks, I wouldn’t use a cheap shock. I learned that with my superduty. I blew through bilstein 51xx series like tissue paper. Good shock for a light vehicle. Not a 6k+ truck...

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lg Motorsports has one. Apparently the ones that fit the 15+ corvettes work with the 15+ denali

formula271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MRC Rear Ride Control Module and Shock Absorbers from 2016+ are compatible with 2015 MY vehicles?

2015 Ride Control Module - 23201678
2016+ Ride Control Module - 23201680

2015 Rear Shock Absorber - 23276087
2016+ Rear Shock Absorber - 84082046

Front Shock Absorber part numbers have also changed, but the new part number is listed for both vehicles.

2015 Front Shock Absorber - 84061228
2015+ New Front Shock Absorber - 84176631

Interesting that all shocks and ride control part numbers are new from 2016.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that there is a temp sensor in the shocks that is used to changed the dampening rate. The 15i shocks ride completely different when it’s below 55 degrees out. The truck rides how one would want.
Above that temp, the shocks quickly ride like crap. I wonder if the early ones had less fluid, or a malfunctioning temp sensor or if the new ones incorporate a cooler of some sort in the body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts