Make the Tahoe New Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamaroJoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

New forum member and long time Tahoe owner here. I've owned my 04 Z71 since 2012 (just cracked 200k miles) and in that time have learned quite a few things about it that I'd like to improve. I've spent a lot of time trying to freshen it up but for the life of me cannot solve these issues. I'm sure a lot of these are common and I'd like to learn what other owners have done to solve these problems. Hoping this thread can help others as well.

1. The steering is AWFUL. It's genuinely the worst I've experienced in any vehicle. When I'm driving down a straight highway holding the wheel straight, the wheels will just change direction on their own even though I haven't moved the wheel an inch. I constantly have to correct the steering every time I drive and it's been this way since I bought it. I've replaced the steering box with a RedHead unit and done new pitman/idler arms and tie rods, but none of that solved the problem. Is there a fix for this? I've looked into Cognito PISK and heard of other brands that claim to fix "steering slop", but want to find out if there's a well researched solution. What do you all do to build a nice comfortable steering system? Is there a secret NBS parts list that you can buy to create a wonderful truck to drive?

2. Going over bumps in the road is miserable. In most vehicles, you get a nice *thump thump* when you go over a bump or an expansion joint, and the noise stays outside the vehicle and you almost can't hear it. However in mine it sounds like the entire truck is crashing around me, even for small bumps. The noise very much gets inside the car- the doors, the dash, everything. I've tried multiple different shocks and even went as far as doing Atomic Fab's coilover conversion in the front. Currently running the Viking dual adjustable shocks up front and Bilstein 5160 shocks in the rear, but the problem remains. Have any of you found a solution for this? I figured doing new shocks would give it the nice quiet *thump* over a bump, but it's very stiff and bumps intrude into the cabin. Don't even talk to me about railroad crossings. Not sure if there are any bushings that need replaced - maybe the bushings that mount the body to the truck? I know it's an older vehicle, but it shouldn't be this stiff and jarring, especially with top of the line suspension.

I've been trying to solve these for ten years now and I'm at my wit's end. Frankly, these make it miserable to drive daily and take on road trips because they're major parts of the driving experience. I love my Tahoe and want to keep it for the long haul. Any advice y'all can offer is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 82E809E8-7661-48FF-95F8-88F8FDF6E7CC_1_105_c.jpeg
    82E809E8-7661-48FF-95F8-88F8FDF6E7CC_1_105_c.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 23
  • BD9E462E-2C44-4BC2-ADBF-A55BEC0275CC_1_105_c.jpeg
    BD9E462E-2C44-4BC2-ADBF-A55BEC0275CC_1_105_c.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 21

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How about the steering sector shaft replacement? What are the before and after alignment readings? What kind of tires have you been running? Original UCA's and LCA's with original ball joints? Live in a salt roads state? Yes, check the body mount bushings.

My 05 Z71 drives and handles like a dream but I have replaced all the front and rear suspension and steering. No salt here and my body mounts look great.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Lots of potential suspect parts, plus maybe misaligned. I’m thinking any competent shop should solve this.

Not a fan of RedHead, I sent them a box once and it came back with no improvement I could detect.

And I can say the same regarding shocks, springs etc. It’s pretty hard to beat OEM if a smooth ride is what you’re after.

What are those tires - ply rating / load rating- and how much air. Meaty wide tires contribute to a harsh ride also.

mhaywoodcz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would have to agree with all the other guys, alignment and OEM parts. When I got my Yukon, the first thing I did is the entire front end, tie rods, control arms +ball joints, intermediate steering shaft, the works. After all the new parts then the alignment. As far as bumpity bumps,I had an F250 once that the cab bushings rotted away. when a bump is hit it would make horrible noise throughout everything. After the replacement everything was good for that part of it.

I have yet to see any of these that didn't need an entire front end replacement. Its a heavy vehicle that is many years old, parts are likely worn out.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little of the famous intermediate steering shaft clunk when turning the steering wheel, but doesn't seem to make anything sloppy and the truck tracks straight as an arrow down the road.
I had a bad inner tie rod, but once replaced and aligned, I track straight and steering feels "responsive". Responsive is in quotes, because GM truck/SUV steering (on everything I have driven) has the typical vague feeling as so many others have noted. Certainly, they were never tight steering response like a sports car, even when new.

As far as the steering acting squirrely on you right now...

Up off the ground, everything is tight? No slop or movement anywhere?
Nothing jiggling where tie rods meet the knuckles, in the hubs, anywhere between the pitman arm and the knuckles?

You have wiggled, jiggled, tugged, pushed, pulled, pried with a pry bar on every possible component?

For clunks, could very well be front body mount bushings. Mine clunks and my bushing is known to be toast.

if none of the front end or steering components are loose and the body mounts look good, then maybe weak shocks hitting bump stops?

If is that noisy and that sloppy, you would expect there would be some tell-tale signs when moving the different components around during an in-air inspection.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
If everything is tight and it does this just buy looking at your pics.I would start with your load rated d tires do you have 80 psi in those.-2nd i would re adjust my gear box i hope you have already did this takes about 60 seconds.If all that checks out for the wandering i would install a front stabilizer shock.It fixed most of my highway driving problems.So much better with it on.Kyb is what i put on their but dont like their bushings-went with poly shock bushings all good now.If replacing shocks many times has made no change and you have had the same tires on i would suggest first lowering your pressure alot take for drive and then tell us what you think.Tires and front steering stabilizer and your good to go if everything else is good.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since purchasing my 2003 Yukon, I’ve replaced the worn suspension components needing it: tie rods, UCA / LCA, front shocks (Bilstein 5100’s) ball joints- with the LCA install- pitman and idler arms.

I also replaced the steering intermediate shaft, but that was just causing an annoying clunking noise, not causing any issue.

I run stock 2015 Yukon wheels, no spacers, and 285/60 18 standard load rating tires.

I recently also replaced the front and rear sway bars with some from Hellwig.

The truck was never bad about driving in a straight line, but did have a lot of body roll prior to the work. There was a little improvement from each step, of course due to worn components. The biggest change, and partly because the worn components had already been addressed, were the sway bars.

I think the truck should track straight, but the wheels / tires you have installed may make it tough. I know when I used performance tires on other vehicles, they would really move around a lot, just due to ruts in the road, and the very stiff sidewalls, so tires alone can make a huge difference. If you have any friends with stock wheels / tires from a 2000-late model full size, maybe pop those on all four for a day or two, to see how it drives.? Keep us informed, and don’t give up on your truck. She looks very nice. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts