Tool to make quick disconnect flare on metal hose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought that big trans cooler from trucool. It works AWESOME, but fits like $heet. A guy makes a metal bracket to mount it which is most of the job but needs spaced out from core support as ambient air sensor rubs on condenser and the trans lines fit like CRAP. You have to tweak the trans cooler lines as is to kind of fit it. Return line is too short and supply line is too long.

I'd like to fashion new ends for that line set but I cannot figure out how to make the quick disconnect flare. Anybody know how? Where do you get a tool to do that?

The flare like you see here...
1706507956076.png

Which fits into the Quick disconnect

1706508057469.png

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got this set. has worked on every job i needed it so far. trick is to push the tool in, then push and pull the line some as you push the tool in further. once its in deep enough the line and tool will come right off. you can use a pick to pull that clip out too. but be warned they tend to fly often. if you pull the clip, put the clip back in, then push the line back in through the clip till it clicks and wont pull out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought that big trans cooler from trucool. It works AWESOME, but fits like $heet. A guy makes a metal bracket to mount it which is most of the job but needs spaced out from core support as ambient air sensor rubs on condenser and the trans lines fit like CRAP. You have to tweak the trans cooler lines as is to kind of fit it. Return line is too short and supply line is too long.

I'd like to fashion new ends for that line set but I cannot figure out how to make the quick disconnect flare. Anybody know how? Where do you get a tool to do that?

View attachment 420168

View attachment 420169
on my 2012 I used some 6an line's and adapters and didn't have to flare anything, should be the same size fittings on the gmt800's
**note that 2 of each is needed, prices may vary depending on where you shop
also if the ambient sensor is in the way just relocate it, I had done that as well until I had to move the trucool to below the bumper
trucool.JPGtrucool1.JPG

Reaction score

View attachment 420168

View attachment 420169
I've seen many people use a 3/8" brass compression coupler on the passenger side line after cutting it to reattach it after flipping it so it runs to the passenger side instead of towards the middle of the vehicle.

As for the partial bubble flare near the end of the tube, I think you can do it by only using the first step of a double flare tool. I know that puts the bulge in the pipe, but not sure if it leaves it ramped on the one side. Could buy a short piece of 3/8" metal brake or fuel line to test it on first.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the above adapters to connect to the existing metal line's, that gave me a flexible line to connect to the trucool and move it where ever it needed to be.

you can use a tool to create a flared tip but it takes some practice and therefore skill, I would imagine the better the tool the best the results and those flare tools get pricey real fast.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive the 6AN lines look like a good route to go. Looks easier than dealing with metal hose. I may just order all that up. Pretty slick!

I had one other idea with the metal hose and that was to just flare the end and one of those nuts on there. Then remove the quick connect and use the nut instead. I think this is how they used to build them. I don't know what that nut is called though or how to look it up (bottom). Can a person buy this sort of thing from home depot or hardware store?

@gooffeyguy yup! I used one like this HERE not a fan, I'd prefer to have it welded / braised but wasn't sure how that would affect rubber on the line set. I'll likely just use another one on the other side when I cut it to length. However, next I have one of these break again, I'll just rebuild them.

1706547474159.png

Reaction score
@Doubeleive the 6AN lines look like a good route to go. Looks easier than dealing with metal hose. I may just order all that up. Pretty slick!

I had one other idea with the metal hose and that was to just flare the end and one of those nuts on there. Then remove the quick connect and use the nut instead. I think this is how they used to build them. I don't know what that nut is called though or how to look it up (bottom). Can a person buy this sort of thing from home depot or hardware store?

@gooffeyguy yup! I used one like this HERE not a fan, I'd prefer to have it welded / braised but wasn't sure how that would affect rubber on the line set. I'll likely just use another one on the other side when I cut it to length. However, next I have one of these break again, I'll just rebuild them.

View attachment 420199
The nut your arrow is pointing to is called a tube nut. Available in different threads and used on brake and fuel lines.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite solution is the 6AN line. However, I think I'm going to go with the metal hose and a tube nut...

curious, how much pressure are in the transmission cooler lines?

Double checking... I'm terrible when it comes to fitting specs.

Looks like cooler lines are 3/8" OD?

Quick connect says threads are 1/4-18 Thread HERE however, TruCool manual says threads on it are 5/8" - 18 UNF 2B (3/8" inverted flare) HERE on Page 2. What's the difference? Confused :confused:

UPATED: Took a while to figure out the tube nut but just ordered these HERE

Wondering if I should also do the cold weather bypass HERE. I'm shocked at how well this thing cools. I installed the biggest cooler, LPD4739 40k cooler (biggest one TruCool sells). Long story but beating on truck to get gas tank empty. Climbing in 4wd, doing everything that would typically heat the trans up to around 180F. I couldn't get it past 120F. Trans is a built up 4L60E I put together, but basically all factory specs just clutches, sonnax goodies etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019