Lug Wrench recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having a tire issue on the road for the first time since owning my Tahoe I have decided that i need to carry a better lug wrench with me in the truck. I was thinking just a craftsman breaker bar and extension. Does anyone have any recommendations on a lug wrench to carry with me? I like standard four way wrenches but they just aren’t good to have sliding around in the back.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HF has a folding star lug wrench. I can't speak to the quality or ease of use. But I did throw one in my DD. I would say it's a little shorter than I would prefer.
Now that I see that last part typed out....:laughing1:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the year of your machine. I was going to take the wheels off our '19 and clean them up, couldn't budge those lug nuts. Torqued at 140 ftlbs. Glad we have AAA. Take a serious lug wrench to get those off along the highway. I'd try it out at home first.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the year of your machine. I was going to take the wheels off our '19 and clean them up, couldn't budge those lug nuts. Torqued at 140 ftlbs. Glad we have AAA. Take a serious lug wrench to get those off along the highway. I'd try it out at home first.
I have a 2005. Newer full-size GM’s torque the lug nuts at 140? Wow…

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree that having a breaker bar or a lug wrench makes it easier….. but I torque my lug nuts to 140ft-lbs, per my owners manual for my 2006. I can break them loose with my factory tire iron and my foot…. And I’m not a big ridiculously muscular guy either… Not sure what you were doing with your lug nuts that they wouldn’t come loose. lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having a tire issue on the road for the first time since owning my Tahoe I have decided that i need to carry a better lug wrench with me in the truck. I was thinking just a craftsman breaker bar and extension. Does anyone have any recommendations on a lug wrench to carry with me? I like standard four way wrenches but they just aren’t good to have sliding around in the back.

I'd recommend the extendable style like what swathdiver linked to. A 4-way is a nuisance to carry and the folding ones are a nuisance to use and a good way to strip a nut- both on the car and anatomical. They easily fit with the rest of the factory jack stuff. I bought a knock-off for $13.99 (This one) on November 18, 2020. About a month later, on Christmas Eve, I ran over some debris in the road that slashed my tire and poked a hole in the wheel. I had forgotten that I bought this wrench and was pleasantly surprised when I pulled it outta the jack compartment. It worked great! I torque my wheels with a torque stick that seems to be pretty close to the 140 lb./ft. spec.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I used to drag around a cross bar tire iron, stuck it in the garage and tossed this one in the back:

View attachment 371618

Have still never used either one on this truck.

Impact gun or ratchet to remove them at home and they go back on by hand and tightened with a long Tekton torque wrench.
I have the same one in the Hoe. I haven't needed to use it yet tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts