LS 6.0 swap happening!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to pull the trigger and do a 6.0 swap. I've done research, but still have questions. First off, I'm going to keep the 4L60E that I have til it blows, then either build it further or swap a 4L80E (or a 5 spd upgrade). I'm not 100% sure what my trans is built with; however, the previous owner said "it's built". We all know how that goes...

I have access to a 2005 6.0 from a Yukon, with all accessories including harness and PCM. Will the PCM need to be retuned, since it was made for a 4L65E, or are they practically the same, besides beefier internals? Or should I just swap in an 80E?

The engine is going to get torn down, dipped at the machine shop to have it cleaned, inspected and all seals replaced. The heads will be getting some work done to them, along with a new cam and springs. Should I go with a custom cam, or does anyone have any suggestions? I have stock stall converter, 3.73 gears and 35" tires. Looking for a decent lope at idle and good fuel mileage. By good, I mean currently around 12-14. I would like to stay in this range, if possible. I've looked into TSP220, 225/236 Hot Cam, BTR Stage 4 224/230, and many more. I'm thinking the larger cams may bring the powerband too far up in the RPM range for my gearing/tire size/stall; however, correct me if I'm wrong. I MOSTLY daily drive, with occasional towing.

Also, any suggestions on head work for the stock heads besides a spring upgrade? Porting, decking, etc.

All work will be happening in my friend's shop who builds race cars, so access to tools will not be a problem. They will be doing most of the work, but I will be involved after hours when I'm done at the office and on the weekends.

It's going to be a fun project, and cannot wait for it to be done! Any other help and input for this swap would be appreciating, thank you!

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nice! I did my 6.0 swap using a 6.0 from an 05 Silverado. Great motor. You can use either pcm. It'll need to be tuned either way for your upgrades. If your truck originally was a 5.3 , the 6.0 can run on the 5.3 tune until you get it flashed. Guys have done that with no issues, just don't beat on it. I forget what specs my cam is, but it has a nice lope at idle, and combined with my 3,000 stall, has lots of power for me. But I told the mechanic I didn't need it to go from light to light, just enough to stretch its legs on the highway. So your specs may vary. My stock transfer lasted about 3 months! Once you blow yours, you can build your trans to handle what you have. Make sure you have all the supporting mods along with your cam, pushrods etc. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm sure other guys will chime in with better info. You can also check out my build page. There might be more info there for you. Please keep us updated. This is an awesome upgrade, and you're gonna be glad that you did it.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Tonyrodz ! My Tahoe is originally the 5.7 Vortec, so there will be more to it than if it were the 5.3. What trans are you using, and how does that high of a stall act on the highway? I'm definitely excited to get this project moving. I'm sitting down with my friend today to go over a game plan, then the work should start this week!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had my 4l60e rebuilt with a little bit better internals, bands, also put a shift kit and vette servo. There's other stuff in there, but I forget now. So far, so good. The convertor feels pretty good , no issues there. Sounds like you have a nice little project on your hands. Def should do an under construction page. I know alot of guys will be interested in your progress. There's a member @Snowbound who was doing a similar vortec to ls swap who is very knowledgeable. Good luck with the swap.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's it holding up now? Supposedly mine has upgraded internals, but I don't know what, so I'm sure it's a matter of time. How do I do an under construction page? Ills definitely do a build thread there!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Mine is holding up great so far, but it's only been a few months. Just go to the under construction page and start your thread. It's just like a normal thread.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subbed. I'll be following along. Another possibility for cam is where I went, Vinci High Performance. I went with their " Trucker " cam and dual valve springs. Roger Vinci himself will personally take interest in your project and offer help. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subbed. I'll be following along. Another possibility for cam is where I went, Vinci High Performance. I went with their " Trucker " cam and dual valve springs. Roger Vinci himself will personally take interest in your project and offer help. Highly recommended.

Thanks @Red Rocket , I'll be giving them a call! Make sure you follow along to my build thread, because I probably won't update this one here. How do you like the dual valve springs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyodave