Lowered suspension still has a lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 09 avalanche 4x4. I lowered the bilstein 5100 to the bottom notch and installed 2” max trac drop spindles and 3-4” rear belltech drop springs.

Right now I have a bad lean to the driver size. I raised up the 5100 a notch on the driver size and I still have also a 1” higher gap on the passenger size.

Is there anything I can do? I wanted to use the adjustable strut mounts but I’ve heard they don’t work on a 4x4 with drop spindles.

I could use belltech shocks but really don’t want to take off the new bilsteins and go to a twin tube shock.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 avalanche 4x4. I lowered the bilstein 5100 to the bottom notch and installed 2” max trac drop spindles and 3-4” rear belltech drop springs.

Right now I have a bad lean to the driver size. I raised up the 5100 a notch on the driver size and I still have also a 1” higher gap on the passenger size.

Is there anything I can do? I wanted to use the adjustable strut mounts but I’ve heard they don’t work on a 4x4 with drop spindles.

I could use belltech shocks but really don’t want to take off the new bilsteins and go to a twin tube shock.
you could try a adjustable panhard bar but not sure how much it can do depending on what is causing the lean

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have one but haven’t put it on yet. The lean is really in the front. Back is pretty close. Not sure how I can get another nice drop out of the passenger side.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2” lean is significant. Something wonky is going on like a mismatched spring set or mismatched drop spindle set.

Can you see it your spring is correctly seated in its perch at the top? I assume you would have noticed if the strut assemblies were the same height prior to installing them right?

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Springs are seated right. I trimmed a little off the passenger coil and it dropped it to near even but the driver 5100 is still one notch above stock. I didn’t like how the strut mount set on the cut spring so I ordered a set of 1” maxtrac coils and they sit stock height on the passenger side which is weird. I figured it would at least match the driver.

I’m going to keep the coils and add belltech struts. I’m worried that won’t ride as good as the bilsteins but they can allow me to get it level and drop the rear another inch for a 3/4 drop.

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just replaced both struts with belltechs. Lowered the passenger side an inch and left driver stock and put the 1” drop spring on the driver to match the passenger side. Driver is still 1” lower. Current drop should be 3” on driver and 4” on passenger side. I’ll have to go another inch lower on the passenger to match. It’s almost like the 2” maxtrac spindle didn’t lower the passenger side.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your swaybar isn't bent out of shape right?
Perhaps one of the bilsteins is bad..

Curious what the cause is..

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it lean before the suspension modding began? Any idea if your Avalanche was wrecked in the past?

What's your assessment of the ride characteristics between the Bilstein and Belltech struts?

OP
OP
C

Carp0331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never been wrecked but my father did hit a turkey once lol. When it was lifted 3” on the bilsteins and 1” spacer I never measured it but never noticed a difference either.

I have brand new performance sway bars front and rear. Maybe they aren’t tightened down evenly?

The bilsteins are a firmer ride but the belltechs aren’t bad.

I may try to add another new set of front sway bar links and see if that will make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667