(cont) new stock z55 suspension mysteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not sure if this is related but in the 72 hours i just spent under the truck - here is what i found, here is what i would greatly appreciate your wizardry wisdom & input ( i also am equipped with enough common sense to knwo that whatever you suggest to me is merely speculative & if my truck blows up - i will not sue you or hold you liable ok... so any any any suggestions or ideas or whatever are welcomeeeee)

- do the trailer wires & suspension wires somehow co-exist in terms of power distribution?? i recently added a 60" led brake light bar & snipped all the wires to the 7-way due to the corrosion within the trailer connector & needing to splice into the wires for the bar. some of them i left to return back to because some kind of apocalyptic storm moved in & i forgot to get back to it so therye taped off with electrical tape. i reconnected 1-2 of them before it started storming... idk my thoughts are that the 1/2 i reconnected could have been tied in with the one corner im not getting a code for. but then again if the wires have no relation to one another then im back where i started, but i thought maybe its possible since the suspension & trailering / tow go hand in hand. i also traced the wires & seemed to lead to the same area. module seems to be working despite someone not giving a f less if it ripped off in travel. i disconnected it from the truck - it was completely filled with dirt, dust, grime, etc etc etc in the actual terminal connector so i cleaned that all out with connector terminal cleaner. i have not reattached it yet.

im so lost . i feel like everytime i think ive got it im standing there just about to fist pump & a hell yeah & there are crickets & here we are again. i dont know what it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lord help me
As @Doubeleive suggested above (1) clean the other side of the connector, if you have not already done so, and (2) check the identified relay to ensure that it is operating correctly.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to high jack the thread but what's z55 and z95 difference? I always thought z95 was the one with the veritable damping and z55 was just the air bag shocks?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Z55 - Electronic suspension system - electronic throttling valve in the shock - 20ms response time

Z95 - Magneride Suspension system - electronically activated electromagnetic fluid in the shock - 4ms response time

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z55 - Electronic suspension system - electronic throttling valve in the shock - 20ms response time

Z95 - Magneride Suspension system - electronically activated electromagnetic fluid in the shock - 4ms response time
QUESTION - im still trying to figure this mess out. i might be crazy, probably a little overly hopeful. but tell me if i am incorrect....

the trailer wiring, it hooks into the ESCM??? i have the electrical service manual, been studying & burning the pages to light my work space as i go.. but heres my thoughts & why this is relevant at all to me, which i could be wrong... i think i metnioned, i snipped the wires to install my brake light bar & noticed my trailer hook up was all but held together by rust anyway & so i needed to replace it anyway... i got overly excited to see the light bar working since when i hooked it to my 4 way port - it didnt work , i remmebered my trailer lights never worked & didnt ever get into the electrical of it til now... realized, it was obviously wiring that got chafed over the years so i spliced in to the relevant wires & cut off the 7 way connector to replace it with a new one,. i didnt do that yet, so i taped off the wiring i didnt solder into the led bar with electrical tape... i soldered 2 of them back together then got excited & did the tape mess... heres this schematic... the part number i highlighted is the trailer brake control module... i think it is the same as the ESCM electrical connector terminal.?.. so could it be that the wires i snipped are actually open circuit because i didnt hook them back to the trailer connector? the wires are the same colors, i think if i remmeber, as the wires that correlate with the dampeners going into the electrical terminal @ the ESCM.

i mean i guess i could always just do this & find out but im curious if my thought process is right or im just delusional from not sleeping since i posted this o_O:birgits_tiredcoffee

Attachments

• elec susp sn.png
    elec susp sn.png
    716.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUESTION - im still trying to figure this mess out. i might be crazy, probably a little overly hopeful. but tell me if i am incorrect....

the trailer wiring, it hooks into the ESCM??? i have the electrical service manual, been studying & burning the pages to light my work space as i go.. but heres my thoughts & why this is relevant at all to me, which i could be wrong... i think i metnioned, i snipped the wires to install my brake light bar & noticed my trailer hook up was all but held together by rust anyway & so i needed to replace it anyway... i got overly excited to see the light bar working since when i hooked it to my 4 way port - it didnt work , i remmebered my trailer lights never worked & didnt ever get into the electrical of it til now... realized, it was obviously wiring that got chafed over the years so i spliced in to the relevant wires & cut off the 7 way connector to replace it with a new one,. i didnt do that yet, so i taped off the wiring i didnt solder into the led bar with electrical tape... i soldered 2 of them back together then got excited & did the tape mess... heres this schematic... the part number i highlighted is the trailer brake control module... i think it is the same as the ESCM electrical connector terminal.?.. so could it be that the wires i snipped are actually open circuit because i didnt hook them back to the trailer connector? the wires are the same colors, i think if i remmeber, as the wires that correlate with the dampeners going into the electrical terminal @ the ESCM.

i mean i guess i could always just do this & find out but im curious if my thought process is right or im just delusional from not sleeping since i posted this o_O:birgits_tiredcoffee
UGHHHHH NEVERMIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not this so disregard pls

just throw the whole truck away i have had it

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awww $h*t, what now? Hooking up those trailer wires you cut and that rear [bumper] grounding wire didn’t fix your problem?
Did you ever end up installing a new suspension control module?

If your body is that rotted, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s bad. I’ve seen them “communicate” with a scanner, but then not communicate with the suspension. As in maybe a partially damaged board?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiming in a little late here. I had a similar set of problems and error messages when I redid the front suspension on my '07 back in 2018. Turns out that I needed to clean the connectors at the top of the shocks with electrical contact cleaner. I did that, reseated the connectors, and the problem vanished.

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
continuing this from my reply to @Doubeleive

i replaced everything with stock - fronts, rears. compressor. i originally was not going to replace the compressor & opt to rebuild but even i - the self proclaimed rebuild queen (some may argue cheap. i prefer frugal, + it has 300k so anything i don’t have to drop a stack on - i try not to) can’t do much with a pile of rust. so i bought a new oem one .

i have an autel maxisys mini with current , active subscription & updated as recent as today. it can pull all codes & perform all functions of the tech2 short of programming modules as i don’t have a j2453.

im getting codes C0575, C0590, C0585 - all but driver left damper actuator circuit open. i’ve checked all fuses, the relays, the ALC relay under the fuse box. i have a p200 power probe that can do all electronic stuff. i tested the relays with that. they are functioning.

the only thing i’m curious about is the possibility of a delete for the auto ride being installed prior to me. if so i can’t find it. i don’t have any codes for service ride control & never have. i should absolutely have had them since my suspension system was a rust encompassing facade made to look like a suspension system.

everything is brand new. i’m lost. help

when i active test - the dampeners get no reading.
GUYS I FIXED IT :’)

SHE WORKS EVERYTHING WORKS!! !!!! !

i could cry but i have been crying so ill just continue to tell yous that EVERYTHING WORKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts