Lots of sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali with tow package. 6.2 engine.
I read this morning on the thread about once sway we’re used no problem with swaying. I purchased this Denali in Oct and I don’t want to turn around and buy a truck. Camper 5,700 dry, 25 ft , compartment is up front with minimal weight. Used a Tahoe prior to pull with no problems unless over 70mpg. I use sway bars and had the hitch verified that it was at the right level by camper service department. They want to say it’s the Denali! That it’s a luxury vehicle and shouldn’t be used to trailer. To reduce sway do I need to add more weight up front? Our 7,500 horse trailer doesn’t sway and doesn’t have sway bars used. Hope this make sense. First time in a forum.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

15burban

Reaction score
What type of a weight distribution system are you using? What is the gross weight of the camper? Dry weight doesn't mean much since usually that doesn't include items like propane tanks, battery, awning, little stuff that all adds up. Same with "listed" tongue weight.

Getting actual weights of your yukon with and without the camper hooked up is hands down the best way to verify your weight distribution hitch is setup right. From that you can figure out your tongue weight which should be somewhere in the ball park of 10-15% of the campers weight.

You will also want to "restore" the weight taken off the front axle using the weight distribution system.

OP
OP
N

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Thank you. Apparently I mis-spoke I have weight distribution bars not sway bar. I went by a trailer place and they want sell me sway kit since the Denali tries to level it self out. Thank you for. expertise.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help, since I don't tow anything significant. Perhaps, stiffer sway bars may be able to help, something like Hellwig sway bars.

Members of this Forum who tow will chime in on my suggestion.

OP
OP
N

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What type of a weight distribution system are you using? What is the gross weight of the camper? Dry weight doesn't mean much since usually that doesn't include items like propane tanks, battery, awning, little stuff that all adds up. Same with "listed" tongue weight.

Getting actual weights of your yukon with and without the camper hooked up is hands down the best way to verify your weight distribution hitch is setup right. From that you can figure out your tongue weight which should be somewhere in the ball park of 10-15% of the campers weight.

You will also want to "restore" the weight taken off the front axle using the weight distribution system.
ok I’ll take it to a weigh station

15burban

Reaction score
If you don't have sway bars I'd definitely recommend getting some. Depending on how much that place wanted just for the sway bars it might be cheaper just to get a whole new weight distribution system (weight distribution with sway bars). A good place to look online is etrailer.com they usually have really good prices and excellent customer service.

OP
OP
N

needdirection

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
image.jpg
So this is the 2021 Yukon with trailer. I am taking it to a trailer place today for the to add “sway” bar. He was saying the distribution bars don’t work because of the independent suspension will continue move up and down trying to level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo