LED brake lights and no cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wire resistors for only the brake lights so you still have cruise control.

For turn signals I would get the novita led flasher. That way you dont have 2 sets of hot resistors behind your light housing.
View attachment 217277

Yes with personal experience I can confirm red led bulbs are actually brighter than white with red lenses, so get some red bulbs. Amber I'm not sure but I would assume it would be the same.

What do you have for front lights? Leds?

You have a picture to where that installs? I'm running those resistors for my front signals (switchbacks) and wouldn't mind pulling the resistors in place of a relay

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
You have a picture to where that installs? I'm running those resistors for my front signals (switchbacks) and wouldn't mind pulling the resistors in place of a relay
Drivers side behind the lower panel by your left knee.

OP
OP
Cajun Jamie

Cajun Jamie

Reaction score
SW Louisiana (originally) and DFW area presently
So I ended up only using the 3157 R (Red) LEDs for my rear brakes. I left the turn and reverse lights incandescent. I installed a 6ohm 50w resistor on each brake light, then used a #6 self tapping screw to mount the resistor down into the chassis away from the lamps. Up front I have 2 LEDs only for running lights. Cruise control works again. I'm pretty happy with this unless someone has an upgrade for the headlight incandescent bulbs.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
So I ended up only using the 3157 R (Red) LEDs for my rear brakes. I left the turn and reverse lights incandescent. I installed a 6ohm 50w resistor on each brake light, then used a #6 self tapping screw to mount the resistor down into the chassis away from the lamps. Up front I have 2 LEDs only for running lights. Cruise control works again. I'm pretty happy with this unless someone has an upgrade for the headlight incandescent bulbs.
Hid or led in stock housing. Your preference. Stick with 5000k (white) or 6000k (white/blue) color temp.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that we can install 4 leds but risk hyperflashing with more bulbs installed even with the new flasher relay. I installed 4 leds up front for corner and main signal flashers, the relay and spyder led tails. I am assuming that the spyder tails have resistors from their factory because my signals flash correctly. Anyone else with this experience? On a side note....I have not tested CC yet! Sorry to hijack thread. Just seems a few knowledgeable people are commenting here on the topic!

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I have read that we can install 4 leds but risk hyperflashing with more bulbs installed even with the new flasher relay. I installed 4 leds up front for corner and main signal flashers, the relay and spyder led tails. I am assuming that the spyder tails have resistors from their factory because my signals flash correctly. Anyone else with this experience? On a side note....I have not tested CC yet! Sorry to hijack thread. Just seems a few knowledgeable people are commenting here on the topic!
I've read reviews that the led flasher is only designed for one pair of led bulbs and if more are added the led flasher cant keep up with it and they still hyperflash

This is the reason why I didn't get the led flasher. Because I have all lights switched to leds

But I've read reviews of people using it with success too so idk if its year or bcm or what

DrummerDude70

Reaction score
Kinda late to the party here, but I installed LED tail lights from CARID, installed an LED relay from Superbright LEDs and have no issues. CC still works fine.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read reviews that the led flasher is only designed for one pair of led bulbs and if more are added the led flasher cant keep up with it and they still hyperflash

This is the reason why I didn't get the led flasher. Because I have all lights switched to leds

But I've read reviews of people using it with success too so idk if its year or bcm or what

I am so glad that it worked! I read multiple threads on the topic and I followed the steps from one post. Installed the spyder tails and checked with oem flasher and everything worked. installed flasher and front corner 194's and it worked. Then installed the 3157 front flashers and it still worked! I have led drl's but I have not seen them turn on yet as I have not driven the truck since install but I will update on CC once I have tried it!

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Thanks, I am behind the times. I didn't think there was an LED headlight out there, and I thought HIDs only work with HID housings. Good to know. I'll definitely look into them.
Well it's usually a no no to put hids in stock housings. But ours have a diffuser lens (older style lights) so it dispurses the light much better than crystal clear lenses (aftermarket or newer vehicle lights) . So hids do fine in our lights.

Stock lights with diffuser lens
s-l300 (1).jpg

Aftermarket with crystal clear lens, try not to put hids or leds in these.111011_11_1_1_1.jpg