Leaking Transmission lines to the radiator!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe LT 4WD. Noticed some leaking around the crimp on the lines from the transmission to the radiator. I could replace them for $80 but I'd like a more permanent fix. It is just a bad design, I don't like the crimps. I have seen where a fellow cut the hard line right before the crimp, took a flaring tool, flared the two ends. Then he slid a piece of trans cooler rubber hose with two hose clamps on each side.

Is this a good fix, will it hold that pressure? I assume the flare acts as a slip stop for the hose and clamps. What does everyone think? Anyone employ this method?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get brand new, pre flared 4" long ends with the ferrel nut for like 2$ then use a pipe cutter to cut of old messed up end aprox 5" back.
Then use a 4" reinforced rubber line and 4 hose clamps to repair it.

Or you can back the original ferrel nut off. Pull the flared tube out of radiator.
Use 2k grit paper and polish up the flared end to make it re seal.

Many ways to skin a cat.

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh do you mean a piece of hard line with a hose barb on one end and a nut on the other? Then just put a male end on the other portion and flare it. I could use brake ling fittings, they withstand a heck of a lot more pressure than the transmission cooler lines. This is a fantastic idea, I will start investigating parts and cost. I would think this would be a permanent fix as there would be no crimps, just hard connections and hose clamps.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets simplify this.

Cut hard line with pipe cutter. This is important as it does not produces metal shavings.
Extend it with rubber line to one of these thats screwed into radiator.
Use teflon tape to seal the threads.
Use 4 hose clamps, 2 side by side on the trans hard line and two on the barbed fitting, to ensure a Solid seal and the hose wot slip off the trans hard line.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0940_-1_-1&pt=N0940&ppt=C0377

563953.jpg

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent idea, but I'm not sure I want to constantly stress the rubber hose into bending at the radiator. Could lead to further issues down the road. But I could probably use that fitting on both ends of the rubber hose. Then have the corresponding female fittings on each side of the trans line.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

What I mean by bending is as the hose ages it could kink at the bend since its no pre-bent like a radiator hose. Therefor, if I just replace the rubber that's there now it would be straight with no bends.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
long hose with easy smooth bend, NP.

Short hose with sharp bend, problem..

I have done this fix MANY times, with no problems.

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think the flare on the original line with clamps will be enough to keep it from blowing off at 75 mph?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your at all concerned, secure the rubber line to anything you can with a zip tie. to keep it from vibrating as badly. But I never concerned myself with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84