Key FOB while surfing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oakfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Month 3 of my 2015 Yukon and I'm loving it. One frustration, though. I have no idea what to do with the key FOB while doing water sports like surfing. I had planned to take the key out of the FOB and tie to my swimsuit, then lock the FOB in the car. No dice. The car is smarter than I am and unlocks the car if the FOB is inside. I can't hide it on the car because then the car can be unlocked by pressing the door handle button. Any other ideas? Zip lock bags, dry bags, etc won't work. I can't bring the FOB with me on the water.
Thanks all!

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Small metal box works in my 370Z. You might want to give it a try.

OP
OP
O

oakfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the FOB signal is blocked while it is in the car?

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I use my FoodSaver and vacuum seal it into a small bag and leave enough extra bag material to punch a hole for the lanyard inside my swim trunks pocket to loop through. You can operate it from the inside the bag. Just test your seal, and that none of the buttons are getting depressed from the vacuum pressure, works great on my LT FOB.

I've used this for my iPhone too in the past, but now it's too big to lug around in my pocket.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always shove mine on top of the spare tire while at the beach

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I always shove mine on top of the spare tire while at the beach

In SoCal, that's a good way to lose your vehicle and/or anything in it.

If you do that with a Keyless entry vehicle, the tailgate will open when anyone comes along and pulls on the tailgate handle or worse, if you have a hand free tailgate, a dog or cat can open it when they walk under your back bumper.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have buttons that must be pushed. I guess with the perimeter scanners this would not work. You can go old school how we did with our money and cel phone.

I still do this. Baby diaper. Put your junk in it and place next to a small cooler and shirt.

No one will ever mess with a wrapped up diaper.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why you set it with something else.

In high school I had a the double GM keys so I would type the oval door key to the leash. And call it a day.

I don't know if you even know about these.

7164_lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse