Just Shut Off-03 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I had an issue like that with a grand am I had back in the day. It would run fine, and suddenly would stop. Not all the time either.
Turned out being the MAF-mass air flow sensor. Sorta like what your mechanic was saying with heat soak in, it would eventually get too hot and stop working I guess. Replaced the MAF and was all good. Might not be same issue or problem, but thought I would throw it out there for possibilities, and something to look at.

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
I had an issue like that with a grand am I had back in the day. It would run fine, and suddenly would stop. Not all the time either.
Turned out being the MAF-mass air flow sensor. Sorta like what your mechanic was saying with heat soak in, it would eventually get too hot and stop working I guess. Replaced the MAF and was all good. Might not be same issue or problem, but thought I would throw it out there for possibilities, and something to look at.

interesting...my only experience with MAF's were with japanese cars and they would run just fine but wouldn't go over 2000rpm or 10mph (limp mode)...thats how u knew an MAF was bad

SC88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went on a 3 1/2 trip to Pa, truck drove great most of the way. We were 15 mins from where we had to be and it kept dying! We were on a pretty big hill but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. The first time it died it took about 30 mins before it would start again. I got under the truck and my girl turned the key, the fuel pump sounded great--nice and strong. Once it finally started it stalled a few more times. We let it sit for maybe 3 mins and each time it started with no problems. It was fine after that! we were in Scranton and there's some killer hills there and it performed flawlessly! what gives? Sometimes this problem doesn't pop up for weeks! Then all of the sudden 3 times in a row? when I do drive it(not an everyday vehicle)I drive it a good ways. I talked to a mechanic and he said it sounded like a heat soak issue but he had no other ideas. Can anyone suggest anything that might be affected with heat soak which would cause it to just die on the road? This thing is really pissing me off now! Also it seems the overflow bottle is low again and I refilled it about 1-2 months ago. Oil is clean so I think the headgaskets are ok and there's no excessive smoke coming from the exhaust. It does have 214,000 miles on it tho. Think it's just from the mileage being high?
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!:Handshake:

Sounds like a bad fuel pump that gets heat soaked and dies. Do you remember your fuel levels during the time this happens? When I worked at GM it was very common problem when the fuel pumps intermittently stopped working when heat soaked. The best thing I can recommend is hooking up a fuel pressure gauge drive around with it taped to the corner of the windshield and keep a eye on it when the truck starts to run funny check the pressure. Even when it dies and doesn't start check fuel pressure if it is strong and holds steady around 40-50 psi then look for the issue elsewhere. My last job before I left the dealer was a 98 monte carlo that had the same issue of dieing for no reason only when hot! My diagnosis as the fuel pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad fuel pump that gets heat soaked and dies. Do you remember your fuel levels during the time this happens? When I worked at GM it was very common problem when the fuel pumps intermittently stopped working when heat soaked. The best thing I can recommend is hooking up a fuel pressure gauge drive around with it taped to the corner of the windshield and keep a eye on it when the truck starts to run funny check the pressure. Even when it dies and doesn't start check fuel pressure if it is strong and holds steady around 40-50 psi then look for the issue elsewhere. My last job before I left the dealer was a 98 monte carlo that had the same issue of dieing for no reason only when hot! My diagnosis as the fuel pump.
That's the weird thing, it never runs funny or has a loss of power--it just dies!
The gas gauge read between 3/4 and full, and the gauge reads pretty accurate. I don't know if this means anything but when I got under the truck and had my gf turn the key a few times and each time the pump sounded really strong. A couple times it would start for a second and if I tapped the gas pedal it would die and refuse to start for a few minutes. Once it finally started it ran great. I floored it a few times and it hauled A$$! I'm confused.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Did you get any trouble codes? My check engine light has never come on, although-will it always come on even if it has a brief intermittent code? I've never scanned it because it's never been lit.

SC88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the weird thing, it never runs funny or has a loss of power--it just dies!
The gas gauge read between 3/4 and full, and the gauge reads pretty accurate. I don't know if this means anything but when I got under the truck and had my gf turn the key a few times and each time the pump sounded really strong. A couple times it would start for a second and if I tapped the gas pedal it would die and refuse to start for a few minutes. Once it finally started it ran great. I floored it a few times and it hauled A$$! I'm confused.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Did you get any trouble codes? My check engine light has never come on, although-will it always come on even if it has a brief intermittent code? I've never scanned it because it's never been lit.
Start by pulling codes and see what you have, even if the light is not on you still will have a history. Your local parts store should be able to do that for you for free. (Autozone)

If you don't have any codes then I would hook up the fuel pressure gauge or at least when it dies next and wont start check the pressure and see what you have. Usually when you have a pump that dies you will get a lean bank code.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Start by pulling codes and see what you have, even if the light is not on you still will have a history. Your local parts store should be able to do that for you for free. (Autozone)

If you don't have any codes then I would hook up the fuel pressure gauge or at least when it dies next and wont start check the pressure and see what you have. Usually when you have a pump that dies you will get a lean bank code.

I'll definitely pull the codes--if there are any. Can't get the fuel pressure because I don't have a gauge and can't afford one--yet!
Thx for the info!:Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmoade