Is a Denali worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 6.0 LQ4 required 87 octane...are you getting better fuel economy/performance running super unleaded?...

I'm only on my 3rd tankful since getting my 2005 Denali but I find the MPG slightly higher than both my previous 5.7 2000 Escalade or my 5.3 2002 Avalanche...

Bill

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the 6.0 LQ4 required 87 octane...are you getting better fuel economy/performance running super unleaded?...

I'm only on my 3rd tankful since getting my 2005 Denali but I find the MPG slightly higher than both my previous 5.7 2000 Escalade or my 5.3 2002 Avalanche...

Bill
The 6.0 does only require 87 octane. Unless the ECM is tuned for running something more than that, you won't really get any benefit from it. People run premium for all kinds of different reasons (more power, cleaner, etc) and think it does something, but for the most part, it's a placebo effect.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...at least that's been my experience with other vehicles and using the recommended/required fuel octane over using other than recommended/required octane...

Bill

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not new to full size SUV’s and always seem to end up back to looking at them but I’ve never driven or been in a Denali, specifically looking at an 05 Denali xl.

My last nbs was an 03 Yukon SLT with full time 4wd and can’t say I loved it over just a selectable 2wd/4wd t case. All the extra bells and whistles are enticing with the Denali though like dvd player and this one appears to even have heated middle row seats.

I’m really just curious if it’s worth pursuing over a suburban lt or ltz (I know 06 was awd for those too).
Wife and I have owned a few full sized GM's in this year range. We owned a Denali, a Tahoe and an slt. Currently have a new Denali and an '08 ltz on tracks.

In the 00-06 vintage between the Denali and non my thoughts.
For the Denali, the 6.0 is a great motor, has more power, the ride is more forgiving, uses more fuel, all wheel drive is nice in that the driver doesn't need to consider if they should be in 4wd or 2wd (ice'y roads for example). The air ride is a mess.

For the non Denali, the 5.3 just works, better fuel economy, fewer annoying issues (seat heaters, infotainment, hvac, etc). Basically fewer options so few problems.

I personally didn't really consider the power or mileage differences a factor in either direction. I preferred the stiffer suspension of the non Denali's but the air suspension is nice when it works if you tow anything. The wife definitely liked the Denali better for the options.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has a 2005 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. My daughter has a 2005 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 and 3.42. My daughter needed the MPG over the oomph of the 6.0, butI have found her Suburban to be peppy enough. I also suspect that 3.73 gearing on a 5.3 would give you the experience you like so much. The 5.3 is a really good engine, in and of itself. That said, the only thing I have "against" the 6.0 is its MPG (or lack thereof). It pretty much defines the statement that you can pass everything except the gas station. :)
All of my nbs trucks/SUV’s have been 5.3 with 3.73 gears. They do just fine.
I mean, what other model would you actually want? Not the peasant base Tahoe or Yukon. Pssshhhh.

I think I’m after an LT (or ltz if selectable 4wd) trim Chevy, I really dislike the awd/full time 4wd of the Yukons even though the front end looks so much better.

I actually prefer rwd but those are so hard to come by especially here in Denver.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my nbs trucks/SUV’s have been 5.3 with 3.73 gears. They do just fine.

I think I’m after an LT (or ltz if selectable 4wd) trim Chevy, I really dislike the awd/full time 4wd of the Yukons even though the front end looks so much better.

I actually prefer rwd but those are so hard to come by especially here in Denver.
The only GMT800 mode you will find with a LTZ will be in suburban and it will only be 2006. That was the first year it was offered and they’re hard to find since Chevy didn’t build a ton of those that year. Plus you won’t have a two speed transfer case with selectable 4x4 options. The LTZ package was only offered with the same AWD transfer case that came in the Denali trimmed Yukon and the Escalade.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really love everything about the Denali but want part time 4WD vs AWD, see about getting one converted. HOWEVER, I put my youngest daughter in an AWD Sierra Denali after reading up on it.Aside from the ~1 MPG loss, it is a really good system.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Coming from an 06 YXL Denali to an 08 and lastly an 09 Esky ESV, the 06 was the smoothest of them all with the 20” alum alloys and z55. Back in ‘14 we couldn’t find a decent 01-06 to replace it so we went to an 08.

The next Gen moves to rack & pinion steering and a much more refined 6 second AWD beast. The drivability and milage goes up with the 6SP trans. We moved to the 09 Esky to get the one year only L9H 6.2L without cylinder deactivation (AFM) and e85 capability. Since ‘20 the savings by using e85 vs 91 in CA have almost paid for the purchase price of the truck. It’s an $80 vs $160+ differential for the 30 gal tank.

Both Gen are predictable 300k+ milage platforms. The dual a/c - heating is unmatched along with 4 heated heats. In 09 Denali offers a/c front seats, 2WD and Esky also goes 2WD in 09 with a/c front seats from 07. After 10 all a/c seats went to fans only.

Happy Hunting for the jewel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz