Is Motor worth saving or Just get a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrevans1245

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was going to work one morning and i noticed it shifted just a hair too late and then I slowed down to make a turn and the truck just shut off. It didn’t make any popping or crunching noises when it shut off, it was so quiet and sudden that I didn’t even know it did until I tried to make the turn. I got out the truck and one of my oil cooling lines came off. The oil had a little bit of metal shavings but nothing major. Is it worth looking into to fix it or should I just trash it and get a crate motor?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Not good. Sorry man.

Does it even crank any or run at all? Did it seize?

The only way to know for sure is to do a complete teardown, clean and inspect. Have you done any engine rebuilding? It's pretty involved, time consuming and gets expensive depending on what it needs.

Most folks would swap a known good engine from a wrecking yard due to cost considerations. A remanufactured engine is another option. They'll want your engine as a core.

OP
OP
J

Jrevans1245

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yikes! Not good. Sorry man.

Does it even crank any or run at all? Did it seize?

The only way to know for sure is to do a complete teardown, clean and inspect. Have you done any engine rebuilding? It's pretty involved, time consuming and gets expensive depending on what it needs.

Most folks would swap a known good engine from a wrecking yard due to cost considerations. A remanufactured engine is another option. They'll want your engine as a core.
My dad got it to crank once it got towed to his house, however I wasn’t there to hear it for myself so I’m not sure if it was a knock or tap coming from the motor because he tends not to explain in detail lol. Then it got towed to one of the local mechanics and they said something was messed up in the bottom of the motor but really didn’t go into detail either. I haven’t tried to crank it since it’s been at my house because I’m afraid something will get messed up worse if it is something fixable. But it sounds like the best bet is to just get a remanufactured motor because I just don’t have the time working 6 days a week to tear down the motor. Thanks for your feedback btw

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad got it to crank once it got towed to his house, however I wasn’t there to hear it for myself so I’m not sure if it was a knock or tap coming from the motor because he tends not to explain in detail lol. Then it got towed to one of the local mechanics and they said something was messed up in the bottom of the motor but really didn’t go into detail either. I haven’t tried to crank it since it’s been at my house because I’m afraid something will get messed up worse if it is something fixable. But it sounds like the best bet is to just get a remanufactured motor because I just don’t have the time working 6 days a week to tear down the motor. Thanks for your feedback btw
something doesn't sound right, you should have had a low oil warning at minimum.
if all the mechanic can tell you is "something is messed up" then time for a new mechanic
you really need to look into it more before condeming the motor unless you have money to burn if so then carry-on

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, to make the decision to rebuild or replace you need to first find someone who will actually diagnose the problem beyond ‘there’s something wrong with it’.

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this issue. Your engine quit from lack of oil. That is the kiss of death unfortunately. When run without oil the bearings will first go dry, start to drag, self destruct and take out connecting rods, the crank and that alone will leave your engine in need of a full overhaul because all that mess will circulate and damage other parts. Pistons will scuff doe to lack of oil, rings running on a scuffed cylinder can't recover. These engines are very durable and have just a few issues that are not fatal normally. Lack of oil is fatal. I would find a used engine with 100K or less and install it. Before install pull the oil pan and replace the oil pick up tube Oring. It is a $10 part that will cost you $1,000 in labor if it goes out later. ( causes lack of oil pressure ) I would also install a new GM Oil Pressure sender while the engine is out, a 2 minute job while engine is out. Might take 2 miserable hours with the engine installed and they all fail eventually. Good Luck with your decision.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Meh, we had that happen to our family motorhome when I was a kid.
I remember hearing what I thought sounded like a motorcycle, then I saw the oil pressure gauge. :jester:
"Dad put it in neutral and turn off the engine!!"

We nursed it home by using some "bailing wire" to hold the lines on, and when we got home the lines got replaced, but we kept the "wire" as a safety. :headbang:

Many more years of service out of it.
and currently that thing is still running.

fix the lines, change the oil maybe twice to be sure, and send it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019