iPhone 8 wireless charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Cool. Glad it worked for you. I will be working in this once thanksgiving is over.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustin Hartung

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the same operation on my 2017 Volt. It uses the exact same wireless charger. I removed the magnet and all is good again.

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad this is working for everyone. I want to put the green piece back in but since it’s working, I really don’t want to mess with pulling the cover off again

Dustin Hartung

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad this is working for everyone. I want to put the green piece back in but since it’s working, I really don’t want to mess with pulling the cover off again
I found that it worked better/more consistently when i put the green piece back in. I also noticed the onscreen display showing up now. Not sure if that functionality is tied to that piece or not.

Bighurk

Reaction score
I found that it worked better/more consistently when i put the green piece back in. I also noticed the onscreen display showing up now. Not sure if that functionality is tied to that piece or not.
I believe it is tied to the piece because I remember reading on here, someone saying that the piece is actually a receiver. So I am assuming it is some how tied into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in my truck. I don’t have that in there and the charge is coming up every time on my display. So I don’t think that’s its purpose

MechEng813

Reaction score
15 Denali here and I'm getting mixed results.

Removing the magnet was definitely a must-do to get any kind of transmission.
My guess is that it might be something the less popular PMA standard uses, but interferes with Qi.

The green piece should stay however.
It's used to provide feedback for the system, letting the BCM know your phone is properly aligned and charging so it can show the "charging" icon on your in-dash screen.

For me unless I was perfectly aligned with the coil's sweet spot, I couldn't get it working.
Even with the entire charing unit removed from the console lid 50% failure rate laying the phone on top of it.
Perhaps the original design in '15 has a slightly less powerful coil, and can't handle the thickness of my phone's case + the rubber mat in the console.

I'm going a different route and attempting to retrofit all new coils.
I picked up this piece from amazon for $8 and will run it off of accessory 5v USB, via a cigarette adapter in the center console.
I'll take some pics and write up an overview.

I have it mocked up now and it's working perfectly.
In fact, it works so well I can lay the phone anywhere along the rubber mat and it will charge.
Previously, I had to butt the phone up to the rear lip to align the coils.

61lcgEtV9YL._SL1081_.jpg

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the 15s are different. I don’t have the green piece and my phone charges every time.

Either way, I like the triple coil looking setup you posted. I assume that is what it is??