Intermittent clacking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Escalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The video sounds more rod knock than lifter. Open the hood and verify every single exhaust header manifold bolt is intact. I had one that rusted and fell off, sounded similar

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The video sounds more rod knock than lifter. Open the hood and verify every single exhaust header manifold bolt is intact. I had one that rusted and fell off, sounded similar
He can check those for sure but FYI, I had 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts and mine never had an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
R

Rexxrally

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally found out what the noise was. In case it happens to anybody else in the future, it was a cracked exhaust manifold, allowing too much engine noise to get out. Once they replaced the manifold, the truck sounds wonderful again.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news! I have seen plenty of snapped bolts but I don't think I have never seen a cracked manifold since SBC days.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news! I have seen plenty of snapped bolts but I don't think I have never seen a cracked manifold since SBC days.
When I installed long tubes last summer, when I pulled my DS manifold off it was cracked between 2 bolt holes where one of the bolts had broken off.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed long tubes last summer, when I pulled my DS manifold off it was cracked between 2 bolt holes where one of the bolts had broken off.

I do not doubt it. It makes sense if broken bolts are not replaced, but I cannot remember ever seeing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB12