Interior trim plastic, paint flaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CM Burns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a Denali like mine that did NOT have some form of the trim kit Grey paint around the disc-changer and console flaking off.

Was wondering what you guys (if any) have done to correct this.
Expensive Replacement Part ordered new from GM Dealer?
If not, I'd love to hear how you stripped it and re-painted it yourself, or if maybe there are any other solutions... THX!

1_zps8eae005f.jpg

2_zpsafc24b75.jpg

Pachanga02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have the answer but I know some have painted it and others have bought the trim kit that covers all the flaking. If you do find an answer please post mine is getting like that.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just strip it and hydro-dip it to match the rest of your trim. ask nathanjax he's a pro at hydro dipping apparently.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score

danniboi

Reaction score
I have a black suburban and its got tan interior, I'm currently working on going from a tan interior to black. It took me some time to get it right but here's what I did. Cleaned the parts with dupli color wax and grease remover, terry cloth hand towel, dried it with a microfiber lint free cloth. Make sure it is completely dry and then coat 2 layers of adhesion promoter, let dry for about 10 minutes. Since I'm going from tan to black I used rust o leum trim and bumper paint. 2 layers gives a nice semi gloss color. This process does not apply for the door panels however. I've heard a lot of people use krylon color fusion, never seen it on shelves or what it looks like after use.

danniboi

Reaction score
Here's the front so far. Th vinly doors are a different process than the plastic dash and center console. If you just spray over the plastics without properly cleaning them then any little scuff will chip the paint. I havent been doing very many before and after pics but I will start just to share.
truckdoor.jpg

truckfront.jpg

guitarzombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
scratched it off

I scratched the paint off with a fingernail and a guitar pick. Got it down to the base black plastic. Looks good. Looks better than the crappy job some min wage design engineer designed into this. What a horrible design.

Scratching it off did not take that long. Use something soft / hard like a credit card.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your paint is flaking, pull the part out and pressure wash it. We did someone's dash like that and peeled it right off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse